Five

Jackson tells me he's gonna be at the café waiting for me and I make my way to detention.

Some stupid reasons they give you detention, right?

I just gave Amelie the middle finger, when she honestly deserved way more. She deserved to get her ass beaten, but I don't think I would ever do this. Unfortunately.

I sit in an empty chair, alone in the classroom.

I guess there's only one person stupid enough to get detention on the first week of school.

"Spencer?"

Oh, great.

"Hi Miss Abrams," I force a smile and she looks very surprised to see me there. The bell rings and she closes the door before walking to the desk in front of mine and sitting.

"So, what's your crime?" she speaks like we're inmates in a prison and I shake my head.

"They made a mistake, I was wrongly charged."

"Really?" she raises one eyebrow, crossing her arms on top of my desk.

"Yep."

"So you did nothing to make Mr. Fisher think you should be here," her tone tells me she's not buying it so I give in with a shrug.

"I mean, I may or may not have flipped a girl in the corridor, but she totally asked for it."

"How so?"

Now, I obviously didn't think things through, because I don't really want to explain to her why Amelie gives me shit but I also don't like to lie. I've trapped myself. I can make peace with myself with a little lie.

"She literally said 'hey Spencer, can you show me your middle finger?' and when I did Mr. Fisher thought I was flipping her off," I said with the straightest face I could manage.

Diana looks at me for a whole five seconds before breaking into giggles and it makes me laugh too. I like when she laughs and I like the small dimple on her cheek.

"I'm serious, Spencer!"

"I'm Spencer, serious!"

"Fuck off," she laughs, playfully shoving me. Then realization hits her and she puts a hand over her mouth, "shit, sorry for cussing. Twice."

I shrug, still smiling and she narrows her eyes at me. It makes me feel analysed, and I begin to feel uncomfortable under her gaze. But I look back into her light brown eyes and she tilts her head.

"You know, Spencer, you can tell me if there's a problem," she says and I look down at my hands. I can't tell her that Amelie picks on me because I'm embarrassed. Embarrassed because she makes me feel small. Embarrassed that I care and that I can't stand up for myself.

And also because I don't want Diana to know that I'm poor. A part of me feels like she's a grown woman and won't mind, but another part is too self-conscious to let it go.

She covers my hands with hers and squeezes lightly. "I mean it. I'll be here for you. Know that, okay?"

It's weird, because there was a weight in my shoulders that got lighter just from hearing that. I could hear she was being genuine, I could see it in her face, in the way she smiled at me and in the softness in her eyes.

I swallow and force my own smile, "thank you, Diana."

"No worries. That's what friends do."

The curl on my lips is not at all forced and I give her hands a light squeeze back. There's a light, comfortable silence that follows, and I feel myself relaxed sitting across from her, like we're in a quiet understanding.