Seven

"Happy birthday, Spencer!" Jackson says as I get inside his mom's car. I smile at him, pulling the belt and hitting my knuckles twice on the handle.

"Happy Birthday, dear," his mom says after, smiling at me before starting the car. She's a beautiful black woman who worked as a photographer too. She used to work with my mom, and they became friends almost as fast as Jackson and I.

"Thank you," I smile at them. Dad's at the hospital, though he promised he would be home later today so we can have dinner together.

So I'm spending the afternoon with my best friend and his mom.

I love Andrea. She's a kind woman and she really felt the loss of my mom too. I remember that we used to have dinner at her house once a month at least, and Jackson's dad would cook something really good and we would play while they talked.

"So Jackson told me you guys are going to the thrift store first," she starts and we agree, "so you guys meet me at the café later, okay? And then I'll drive you back home."

"Sure, mom."

"Thank you," I say and she smiles at us.

We make our way downtown with a little of small talk. She asks me with classes I have and if I like my tabletable and I take my time to complain about having P.E. with Mrs. Smith. She laughs at me, then she parks and tells us to take care and message her when we're leaving.

"I really like your mom," I tell Jackson and he smiles at me.

"She really likes you too. Now c'mon, birthday girl, let's see if we find something good."

I never enter proper stores alone because I've learned to be self-conscious. And I don't really have enough money to buy anything, anyway, so me and Jackson walk straight to the thrift store.

It takes us some time to find a jacket in good conditions that matches my style and that actually fits me. Jackson is holding three other shirts for me and a pair of jeans as he pushes me inside the fitting room.

I try on the shirts first and he approves two of them. Then I put on the jeans and he gives me both his thumbs up. I hate trying on pants because it's too much work, but those are comfortable and they actually cover my ankles.

Last, I put on the jacket and it fits perfectly. It's warm and I can stretch my arms and it doesn't ride up to my forearms, nor it feels tight at my shoulders.

"Wow, you look amazing, Spencer," Jackson says, putting his head inside the curtains. "we gotta see how much it costs, because it's perfect."

I beam at him. It almost looks new.

"Give me the jacket, I'm gonna ask the lady how much it is."

He leaves as I slip in my sneakers again. Maybe they'll survive til spring break. Jackson comes back and tells me how much everything is. Basically, I can't afford the jacket, but I can buy the jeans and a shirt and then I won't have more money, or the two shirts and still have a bit to spare on food.

I look down at my jeans. They are too short and the tips are frayed. Also, I'm pretty sure I have a tiny hole at the seams between my legs. I could also buy just the jeans and have spare money, but I need clothes more than I need to treat myself to some nice piece of cake.

I sigh, already mourning my cake and I get the jeans and my favourite shirt. I see Jackson with his own bag, and he tells me he got himself a couple of shirts and a funny sock we saw.

We walk down the street to the café and Jackson makes his way to his mom, me following right behind. He sits beside her and I sit across from them.