Thirty Two

I eat toast and brush my teeth before riding to school. The last few days the sky's been mostly clean, but the weather is changing again, and I see heavier clouds forming.

I chain Josephine and walk inside, rubbing my hands together for warmth. It takes me to last night, to Diana's soft skin under my cold hands and I smile like an idiot as I walk to my locker.

"Hello tiger," Jackson says, leaning on the locker beside mine. I roll my eyes at him, "how are you?"

"Good?" I shrug and he narrows his eyes.

"What? Just 'good'?" He closes my locker, forcing me to look at him, "what's wrong?"

I sigh, looking around us to make sure there was no one within earshot before speaking, "remember that you said she slept around? What if I'm just... nothing special?"

Jackson squeezes my arm, "trust me, Spencer. I see the way she looks at you, I know you mean something to her."

I nod, and we walk together to Geometry. I can't wait to see Diana, and it makes all the classes before pass painfully slow.

We're playing volleyball during January and to my surprise, I'm not as bad on it. Maybe because both teams don't actually mingle together in the court, but I find myself having fun.

"You should join the volleyball team," Thomas tells me, an impressed smile on his face.

"Yeah, no," I say, feeling proud of myself anyway. I don't really have time for that, and the season must be ending anyway.

Even Mrs. Smith looks impressed, and she pats my back with her grandma's hands that don't shake as much as I expected, looking completely surprised with my abilities in the sport.

Not as surprised as I look with the fact she's still coming to school, I bet.

I shower and make my way to the outside of the Art classroom. Usually Abby, Laura and the others eat with us on Tuesdays and Thursdays, because that's when we have the break in the same period. I'm glad today it's only the two of us. Jackson and I sit together and eat, and I tell him everything that happened yesterday.

"See, I told you she liked you," he says, elbowing my side, "you should trust what I say."

"I don't understand her, though. I mean, usually there's a reason why people do stuff, right? Why did she sleep around?"

Jackson shrugs, "you'll have to ask her," he says and pauses for a moment, "and when you do, ask her again about that time after homecoming, because that was very weird."

I nod, remembering that I also thought there was something weird since she told me that back in October. I just never pressed because I didn't have time to think about it at the time, and because I hate confrontation.

"Well, I can't go to her and ask 'hey, so you know how everyone here loves gossiping, right? why did you sleep around?'"

"I mean, that sounds about right," he says and I roll my eyes, returning his container.

We stand and split to go to our lockers. I get my English textbook and make my way to Diana's classroom. She's standing there and my heart races in my chest when I turn the corner and see her. As our eyes meet, I can feel my face growing hot and I smile.

"Good afternoon, miss Abrams," I say.

"Good afternoon, Spencer. Can you please stay after class for us to discuss your grade?"

"I-Sure," I say, frowning a little. I beeline to my seat on the corner and open my notebook.

I spend half of the class taking notes and the other half daydreaming about her. She's beautiful, she's hot, and she kissed me yesterday.