Fifteen

It's almost Halloween and Diana's been distant, to say the least. She still comes by after her run, but doesn't stay because she has too many tests to grade. She never comes by during lunch anymore and always has something to do after class.

And now that I could finally use some detention, Mr. Fisher seems to not be patrolling the corridors anymore.

I keep sketching during classes and even though I never see her outside anymore, everytime I look up her eyes are on mine for a second before she looks away.

I don't get it. I'm starting to think I did something wrong. I think hard, but I can't figure it out.

I hate confrontation, but I hate not being in good terms more, so I need to find a way to talk to her. Which probably won't be that hard.

It's been colder now and I'm finally using my new jacket. It's so warm I love it. The leaves are now officially yellow and orangish, the perfect sight of Autumn.

Jackson and I are now sitting indoors by the Art room. It's empty enough when we sit and he passes me a thermos.

"Ms. A. was seen with another woman leaving the bar this weekend," I hum, munching on my lunch. I shouldn't care, but I do.

"So?"

"Nothing. I'm just doing my duty as the school's reporter and telling you all about it," I nod. I don't get anything that's been happening.

And the thing is that I'm sad because I feel like I'm losing her as a friend and I don't know how to stop it. I don't know if I can stop it.

"Is something wrong? Why are you moping around?" Jackson asks and I roll my eyes.

"I don't mope. I'm tired, that's all," he doesn't look convinced at all, but he doesn't press me, for which I'm grateful. We finish our lunch by the time Laura and Matt come up to sit with us.

They eat in the cafeteria then come up to sit with us and we talk until the bell rings. Both of them are pretty nice and kind and I find them growing on me. Matt outgrew his shyness around me, so now he actually jokes around and I discovered he's quite the fantasy nerd too.

I check my phone and stand up. Maybe I could catch her before class started. "I gotta talk to Ms. Abrams about my test, so I'll see you later," I say, walking to my locker to change bags and then I make my way to her room.

I'm walking pretty fast, because I don't know how long it'll take me to talk to her and I see her door open.

Perfect, because it means she's there.

I walk up to it but then I hear a voice that makes my skin crawl and my feet stop.

Amelie.

"Thank you, Ms. Abrams. I was having problems understanding how Snowball and Napoleon were real people," Amelie says and I want to roll my eyes. Instead, I look around before approaching and listening to their conversation. "But you're such a great teacher, I get it now."

What a kiss ass teacher's pet. Her voice sounds sweet and coy, hiding perfectly how venomous she can be.

"No problem, Amelie," I hear Diana's voice. She sounds tired but I can hear a hint of a smile on her voice. "I think you should go. Maybe you can still have lunch if you go now."

Shit, she's leaving. "Yes. Thank you again."

I don't want her to see me and embarrass me where Diana can hear, so I run down the corridor towards the closest bathroom and I wait inside until I hear Amelie footsteps pass the door. Then I wait a few seconds before walking to Diana's door again.