Eight

When you're sixteen you can drive. When you're eighteen you are legally an adult. Now I'm nineteen and nothing different happened. Didn't unlock a new achievement or got a pass to do something I couldn't before.

I park my bicycle and chain it before looking for Jackson. I'm wearing my new pair of jeans today, though it's still too hot for the jacket, so I have my old thinner one and a long sleeved shirt on.

I don't see Jackson yet, but the wind is a bit too cold for me to keep standing outside, so I make my way to my locker to wait for him there. Could I just meet him in Geometry? Yes, but then we can't talk and how's he gonna tell me all the gossip I don't really care about?

He leans on the locker beside mine when I'm trying to fit my gym bag inside without crumbling the sheets I have inside. "Hello."

"Hi," I offer him a smile and he looks me down before smiling.

"Nice outfit, fancypants."

I chuckle, feeling my heart get warm with his compliment. I don't think he realizes how much it means to me, especially after all Amelie keeps saying about me and my clothes.

"Thank you, Mr. Manalo," I'm in a good mood today. I've just turned nineteen, I have a new-to-me pair of jeans and my body is starting to get used to the double work of school and working at the store.

I close my locker and we walk together to Geometry.

"So, did you hear? David J., the sophomore from the basketball team, almost got caught with weed this weekend."

"I have absolutely no idea who that is but wow."

"Right? Heard he was about to light the thing when the cops arrived so his car didn't smell."

"What a lucky boy."

"Yeah," we sit on the back right before the bell rings, cutting our conversation short.

I'm trying to guess Amelie's timetable so I can think of which corridors to take so I don't see her, but the only thing I know is that she has English at some time in the morning.

Which means that I try not to walk close to Diana's door.

The thing is not that I'm scared or afraid of Amelie is just that meeting her drains me. It takes energy that I need to study and to work, so I prefer to ninja my way around her than to have frivolous confrontations that hurt me.

I look around as I stop by my locker to get my gym clothes. Yep, no sign of that snake or of her minions. I get my bag and put my backpack inside before shutting it and walking to the gym.

I hope we don't play basketball again.

"Reed! It's man-to-man defense! Who are you guarding?"

I stop for a second, looking at Mrs. Smith. How does she have the power to yell at me every class is beyond me. I put my hands on my waist to catch my breath.

"Uh... Thomas, ma'am."

"Then guard Thomas!" I nod and make my way to Thomas. I think he's on the football team and he obviously has more strength than I do. I weakly move my arms around him in a fake attempt to disturb him.

Someone from the opposing team shots the ball towards us and I jump, catching it.

I think the only person more surprised than I am is Mrs. Smith.

I run for my life, dribbling the ball and laughing like an idiot out of nervousness. I can't believe I did this. Then I remember I don't know how to throw and I quickly scan the court for someone in my team, and I pass the ball to them.