Twelve

I feel rested for the first time in a long time. My stomach is full and I actually got enough sleep last night.

Jackson lets me borrow his clothes and I am so comfortable in his clothes I may steal them.

Talk about owning what they call you.

I'm wearing a pair of jeans that was lost inside his wardrobe and a burgundy hoodie that's a bit oversized on me. And on top of that a denim jacket.

"You look good in my clothes," he said, then focused on the jeans. "Hey, where did you find that?"

"In the bottom of your closet, why?"

He shrugs, "you can keep it if you want. I was gonna donate it because it's too small now."

I smile. "Sure. Thanks."

His mom drives us to school and I search for Diana's car. I feel like I need to thank her for yesterday

"Have a good day, kids," his mom tells us, and then speeds off when we get out of the car.

The wind blows cold in our faces, but I'm warm today, so fuck you wind.

"Hey, I'm going to Ms. Abrams classroom to thank her for yesterday," I say and Jackson nods. "I'll see you in Geometry."

Her door is already open so I step inside. Diana's with a stack of papers over her desk, looking through them with a concentrated expression. She looks up at me and smiles, crossing her arms over the wooden surface.

"Good morning, Spencer. Are you feeling better?"

Her eyes carry a different kind of shine today. I watch as she takes my clothes in and her cheeks get pink.

"Much better. I wanted to thank you for helping me yesterday, Diana." She nods, smiling at me. I feel myself not really wanting to go to Geometry. I bite my lip in nervousness, and I notice her eyes flicking down to my mouth, then back to my eyes. My skin is getting warm under her stare so I force myself out of it. "Anyway, thank you, I'll see you in the afternoon, bye."

I hear her chuckle as I turn around to leave, but she calls me and I look back to see her smiling.

"Behave today, I don't wanna see you in detention."

I roll my eyes, "I always behave," then I leave.

But why is it that the last thing I wanna do now is behave?

_____

Obviously, I behave.

I don't see Amelie the whole morning, which is a blessing and when I sit outside with Jackson, my mind is at peace. I didn't even have to do P.E. today because the nurse told Mrs. Smith I fainted so I just sat and watched the others dying.

"So, you're going to homecoming on Friday, right?" Jackson asks me.

His mom packed lunch for both of us today and I feel warm inside.

I shake my head, "I have work, remember?"

"Can't you change shifts with someone?"

I could, but I'll have to find someone to change with me. "I don't have a dress."

"Does it have to be a dress?" I look at him, not sure what he means. "I could lend you a suit."

I sigh, "do you really want me to go?"

"Yes."

"Can't I miss this one and then go to prom?"

"Can't you come on both? You've never gone to any."