Thirty

*DIANA*

I smile, pulling her down to sit again. "I need a drink, do you want one?"

She shakes her head and I take our glasses to the kitchen, refilling hers with water. I can't believe she stayed. I can't believe I asked her to stay, when I know it's wrong. When I know every time we kissed I felt guilty afterwards and couldn't help but act weird and distant.

I take a second to calm myself as I take a can of beer from the fridge. What am I doing?

"Wait, you're telling me you like her?" Diego asked, his brown eyes shining with mirth, making my cheeks redden.

"I don't know! Isn't it weird for me to?" I asked him, letting my head fall to my arms. He shrugged.

"I mean, you don't sound creepy or like a pedo," he started, then cocked an eyebrow, "probably because you're missing the mustache," I rolled my eyes and he crossed his arms over the table, becoming serious again. "I mean it. You sound like you genuinely like her, but I think you're scared of it."

"Of course I am! It's fucking illegal!" I said and he frowned.

"Technically, she's a consenting adult. You could lose your job and your teacher license, but I don't think you'd go to jail," he corrected me, as if that was reassuring. "And we both know that's not the only reason here, Princess."

I looked down at the soda in front of me. He was right, as usual. I just have too much going on in my life. I am too much to deal with, if I'm honest, and I don't deal with it the best way possible.

Diego sighs, leaning back on the booth, and eyeing me.

"Look. We both know you like her, and you have been developing feelings since the beginning. Sure, at first it was probably your flirty way and the fact you like to sleep around," he said simply, and I know he's not judging me, merely stating facts. "But, I feel like you started liking her. I can see in your eyes and in your face every time you speak about her or that you see her at the café."

"Bullshit," I mumbled and he huffed.

"Please, I know people," he stated, putting his palms back on the table. "Now, I can't make you do anything, Juliet, but I think you should open up to your Romeo and try to heal."

"Are you foreshadowing our deaths?"

He rolled his eyes, "It's because their love was also forbidden, dumbass."

I laugh, but I still feel nervous. Nervous because sure, I've liked people before, but I've never liked someone that could fuck my life this way. Nervous because I like Spencer way more than I should, and it's wrong and I can't help but feel guilty.

"I don't know if I can do this," he raised his eyebrows at me in defiance, "I mean it. When was the last time I actually dated someone?"

He shrugs. "I don't know, sophomore year?"

"I don't know and that's the fucking point!" I let out the air I've been holding, feeling helpless. Defeated. "I can't do this."

"You just have to try. You'll have to trust her, Princess," he said, his voice gentle. "And who knows, maybe you'll find out she's worth the risk."

Can I really know without opening up first? I don't know, but a part of me wants to. Wants to take this leap of faith and actually try.

I close the fridge and walk back to the living room.