Thirty Nine

"You got everything? Toothbrush? Pajamas? Charger?" Dad lists a bunch of stuff as he holds me by my shoulders and I nod.

"Yes, I got everything. Even a book," I say and he smiles at me before kissing the top of my head.

"Have fun, and be careful, Spencer."

"I will. See you tomorrow, dad," I quickly close the door behind me and run down the steps to Josephine.

She has an ugly scratch close to the wheel, but she seems fine besides that. I ride down the street to Diana's and I wave at Mr. Harris as I pass by the store.

"Hello Spencer!" He yells at me with a smile.

I'm glad he let me take today off.

I chain my bike at Diana's, and quickly dry the little droplets of sweat from my forehead and straighten my T-shirt for any creases.

Thank God the path to her house is mostly downhill from mine, so I'm not stinking.

I knock, almost jumping on my spot as I wait for her to open the door for me.

And then she does, and I can't stop myself from smiling and from leaning in to kiss her quickly on the lips. Diana smiles against my lips too, pulling me inside by the front of my shirt and closing the door behind me.

I'm trapped between her body and the door and I just hug her close to me, Diana sneaking her arms around my waist and leaning her head on my chest. I enjoy having her in my arms again, and I feel my heart squeezing.

"I missed you," I say, kissing the top of her head. Diana giggles, kissing under my jaw before taking a step back.

"I missed you too, Spencer," she smiles up at me, biting down on her lower lip. She kisses me again, quickly. "Are you ready?"

"Yep," I tug at the straps of my backpack and she gets a small duffel bag from the couch and puts her sunglasses on top of her head.

"Let's go."

I follow her out her apartment and down the stairs to her car, putting my backpack on the backseat with her bag. We sit, and I knock twice with my knuckles on the handle as she starts the car and gets on the road.

"How was your week?" I ask, and she tells me about her mom and her aunt, how she's getting better each day, about Coco and about all the planning for the classes she did.

I talk to her about our little adventures in the river, about the day we went to the lake, all the games we played and movies we watched. She asks about dad and I tell her he's getting better, already back at work.

I'm excited for finally being with her and going to the city. I'm happy.

Diana turns the radio on, a pop beat as our soundtrack as she takes the highway outside town. The trees pass by us, and I can't help but look up at the blue sky.

"What happened to your knee?" She says, glancing at me for a second.

"Oh, I fell yesterday, because of the rain," I shrug, looking at her side profile, at her hair tied back and at the curve of her neck, "when we get there I'll show you my elbows, it looks like I fell on a grater."

"Jesus, that sounds terrible," she says, but there's just a hint of laughter on her voice.

"Are you laughing at my pain?" I ask, pretending I'm deeply hurt.

"No, of course not. Are you okay?"

I shrug, "yeah, you get used to it when you ride around on a bike."