Twenty Seven

It's finally the last week before Christmas break and I am ready for a week of doing nothing.

I hate being home alone but I know I'll end up at Jackson's most of the time, so I'm not really worried about it. I am worried about dad, because he's been in the hospital for a month now, and I don't want to stop believing he'll wake up some day.

I've been helping Dave with his History papers, but we'll have to continue after the holidays to see an improvement. I managed to pay November and with Dave paying the tutoring, maybe I can squeeze in December too. At least the rent and some bills.

Diana's back to her normal self, and we talk like nothing ever happened, which is a relief but also makes me a bit sad. Despite my better judgement, I like her, and knowing she doesn't like me sucks.

The bell rings and I make my way to Diana's classroom. It's been some time since I''ve seen Amelie, a fact I'm thankful for.

I turn in Diana's hallway to see her on her usual spot at the door, smiling and greeting kids as she talks with the other teacher. Our eyes meet and her smile grows just a bit, making my heart speed up in my chest.

I should be used to this by now, but I am not.

"Good afternoon, Spencer."

"Good afternoon, miss Abrams," I say, walking to my usual seat by the window.

It's getting even colder now and the sky is heavy with dark clouds. I wonder if it's going to snow soon. Mom and dad used to take me to the park so we could play with the snow when I was younger.

The second bell rings and Diana closes the door, taking her place by the board and starting her lecture. She gives us papers to do during the break and the name of the book we'll be reading next semester.

She keeps making eye contact with me and throwing small smiles in my direction. She's beautiful and I can't help but stare at her legs and how great they look in those jeans. I think I've stared a bit too long, because when I look up, Diana's looking at me with an arched eyebrow, making me look away in embarrassment.

I do my sketch/note taking method as the hour goes on and I can feel my eyes heavy. I'm in a serious need of a nap, but I know today is the last Friday before the break, so I can manage.

The bell rings again and I put my stuff in my backpack, fighting with the zipper before walking to the front.

"Can you help me with this box?" she points at a box on the ground and I nod, lifting it. It's not as heavy as I expected, but it's not light either.

She gets another one and locks the door before we walk together to the parking lot. I ask her about the book we'll have to read.

"It's about the polio outbreak in 1944. It's very sad, but I think it's very real too," she says, and I like the way she sounds when she talks about her books. "There's this guy who couldn't go to war because of his vision and now he has to take care of these kids," she pauses, smiling up at me, "but I won't tell you more, or else I'll spoil it."

I smile back at her, shrugging.

"I'll read it anyway," I say. I hope they have it at the library.

I push open the door with my shoulder and we walk to her car. She unlocks it and I help her put the boxes in the trunk.

"Oh, I almost forgot," she says after closing the trunk. I look back at her as she opens her bag, and I watch her take a wrapped rectangle. "Merry Christmas, Spencer."

I look at her with the Windows Blue Screen face before taking it and opening. It's a copy of the last book from my trilogy.

"I noticed you like reading," she says with a grin, "And that you like fantasy, so I got you the third book from that series you were reading."