Ten

I look everywhere, but they're not in my gym bags, nor on the ground. None of the other girls have seen it either and I'm getting frustrated and angry.

Puppies. My mother's eyes.

I put my long sleeved shirt and my jacket then slip back into my gym shorts. I'm gonna freeze like that, but I have no other option.

I look ridiculous with my top half dressed for cold and in summer shorts but it's what we have for today. I get out of the gym and walk back to the main building to sit on our bench.

I'm cold and my stomach hurts because I didn't have time to check if dad bought bread, let alone to make myself a sandwich. I think the last thing I ate was the chocolate cake yesterday.

A bunch of kids pass by me and snicker, looking at my legs and whispering among themselves. I could almost doubt myself and think I didn't come with jeans today, except I remember the trouble of putting it half awake and sitting on the toilet.

"Where are your pants?" Jackson asks me as he sits beside me.

I shrug, "good question."

"How did you lose your jeans?" He opens a thermos and I can smell the adobo chicken his father cooks. It smells delicious.

"They walked away when I was in gym," he frowns, eating a forkful and I look away. My mouth is watering and I'm shivering from the cold. "We should eat in the cafeteria today, you're shaking."

"What? No, I'm fine," I say, but I'm not. Everything is cold.

"C'mon, Spencer." He takes his container and pulls me to the cafeteria.

If I was angry before, now I'm utterly embarrassed. It's not that I'm wearing booty shorts, because they go to the middle of my thighs but it's cold outside and I'm the only one wearing shorts.

"Why?" I close my eyes for a second as I feel my neck growing hot. Some boys whistle and I wish I could evaporate.

Oh, to be vapor and not hear boys whistling at me.

I look around and I see Diana at the teacher's table. David's sitting beside her and she lifts her eyes to meet mine.

Her light-brown eyes were traveling up and down my body. Slowly, taking her time on my legs and I could just die right there. Then her eyes met mine and she quickly looked away.

I didn't really have time to process that because Amelie walked up to us as we were sitting, holding a pair of jeans that were too familiar.

"I found your jeans, stinky," she says, throwing me my jeans. "You're welcome."

Then she walks away and I frown, confused for a second. Was she being nice? Until I unfold my jeans and painted in red thick letters on the legs, are the words 'stinky' and 'thief'. I hear laughter around me and I quickly fold it back.

"Do you think someone else lost a pair of pants?" I ask Jackson as I shove my pants in my gym bag. We're barely half-way through lunch break and I hate every second we're sitting there.

But the cafeteria is the warmer place in the school and I'm wearing shorts. It feels like the conversation is getting louder around us, like everyone is talking and the whispers and the laughter are because of me.

Stinky thief.

I know everyone saw it. I wanted to know why she treated me like that. I wanted to find strength to stand up for myself.

I felt my whole face warm as I stood and walked out with all the dignity I had.

"Spencer, wait," I heard Jackson getting his thermos and walking behind me. We walk out and sit on the stairs. "I'm sorry that backfired."