Thirty One

"Let's see if we understood this shit," Rory said, crossing her arms over the table.

The three of us were sitting in the café, and while it felt weird during the week without Diego coming every now and then to talk to us, now that he was here it felt just like it was supposed to be. I knew we'd be coming here on the weekends too just to see him.

Both she and Jackson were looking at me from across the table, and I felt like I was being interrogated.

"You went to her apartment to get a book, got the book, then she asked you to stay, which you did," Rory recollects the facts, her voice full of disbelief, "then you guys talked a lot, and you basically had a moment," she pauses, emphasizing the moment part, "but you didn't kiss?"

"Yeah, that's it," I nodded, and they both huffed.

"Jesus Christ, Spencer, are you dumb?" Jackson says, letting his face fall to his hands, "you like her, she likes you... you gotta do something!"

"What am I supposed to say!?" I said looking at both of them. "She's my teacher, remember?"

"So what, she's only gonna be your teacher for four months," Jackson says, opening a smug smile, "but you can wife her up for forever."

"Oh God," Rory said, letting her head fall to the table. Her shoulders shook slightly with laughter, "I can't believe you said that."

"It's true, though!" He defended, laughing too for a second, then getting serious again. "Spencer, you have to tell her how you feel, or else you guys will never move forward."

"Now, that's true."

"See? Even Rory agrees."

I shook my head, feeling nervous even though we were just talking about the possibility of me actually confessing to her. So many things could go wrong, but the only one that actually scared me, was if her rejection severed our connection completely.

If she said she didn't like me and that we couldn't be anything, not even friends.

"Tell her how you feel. At least you won't have to hold it inside you anymore," Jackson pushed and I nodded, not really agreeing to do it, but so he stopped talking about.

"Yeah, and if she says no, then you try again after graduation just to be sure," Rory added with a tiny smile and I kicked her under the table. "What? Who knows?"

"She's got a point, Spencer. Now, we believe in you!" Jackson cheered me on.

I sigh, knowing they had a point too. At this point, why should I keep trying to lie to myself about my feelings towards her? Yes, I cared about her and I liked liked her. Yes, she made me want to hold her and kiss her and get carried away while doing it, but I was entirely too scared of spoiling her career and our relationship to act on any of my desires.

We got interrupted by my phone, ringing loudly in the café. It was weird, because I was sitting with the only people that could call me, so we were all frowning as I took it out of my pocket.

"Yes?"

"Is this Spencer Reed? Daughter of Ethan Reed?" a female voice came through the phone, and I felt my blood running cold in my veins. It was the hospital lady.

"Yes, that's her," I said. My voice carried hope, but my heart was heavy with fear.

"We're just calling you because your father woke up today," she says, and I can finally breathe again. "He's doing fine, but he's still under observation. You may come visit him and talk with Doctor Patterson if you'd like."