Twenty Six

Saturday goes by as usual; I clean the house a bit, I go to the hospital to visit dad and do some homework, then I go to the store for my shift.

I clean the counter and refill some shelves, scanning clients products and giving back change. I'm still tired and going back and forth in the bus makes me exhausted. Worrying makes me exhausted.

Jackson is back in town and said he'd come by early for us to visit dad tomorrow and I am very grateful for him to be in my life. I unchain Josephine and ride back home.

Diana didn't come today either and I shouldn't be as bothered by it as I am, right?

It's not like I only had one friend before and then I had three and then one of them ditched me. It's not like I felt really lonely for some time and then I made some more friends and they left.

What?

I ride up to the apartment complex, the dark cloud above me heavy and I see lightning cracking down in the distance. I hope I get home before it starts raining, because I'm not in the mood to be drenched and in the cold.

I see that black sedan on the other side, and the usual dealer delivering a plastic bag. I pedal just a bit quicker, hoping to finally get a sight of the driver, but just as I reach the window, they speed off, leaving me behind.

I shower and fall back on my bed, letting sleep take me.

I was sitting at the café and Diana was sitting across from me, grading a pile of paper.

"What did you dress as for Halloween?" she asked, voice light as she rested the pen down.

"I was a vampire," I put my pencil down too, looking at her with a smile, "a really cute little girl came by the store, she was like, five, and was dressed like Jack Skellington." She made a face, imagining how adorable Holly was. "And you?"

"I was blonde Leia," she shrugged. "Are you a Twilight fan?"

I faked a gag and she laughed. "Hell no! I read that, but no."

"You read it? I did too."

I narrowed my eyes dramatically at her, "did you like it?"

"Not really. I like romance but I didn't like it," she opened a teasing smile, "did you like it?"

"No. I read because it had vampires in it."

She chuckled at my answer, resting her chin on her hand again, eyeing me. "Did you like Edward or Jacob?"

"I liked Alice," I admitted with a shrug, picking my pencil again.

"Same," she said and I smiled at her, looking back down at my papers. When I look up again, she's sitting on her desk and I'm sitting on the one in front of her. The door is open, but there's still time before the bell rings.

"I remember this one boy when I was in high school, he was so weird. He was always lurking around, and we thought he was stalking us? But then he changed schools junior year and everything was fine."

"Holy shit, that's crazy," I said and she nodded.

"Yeah. I wonder what happened to him." Diana looked into the distance for a second, then back at me. "There was this one girl too, she was so cute," she paused. "Now that I think back on it, I think she was into me too."

I chuckled, shaking my head. I had seen her with a girl that day at Halloween, but hearing her say she actually likes a girl made my heart flutter a bit.

"And you guys say I am dumb," I teased and she raised one eyebrow, staring at me.

"You are."