Chapter 28

Cooper's POV

The fire cackled, embers slowly rose in the air. I readjusted my backpack underneath my head and tried to go to sleep. After finishing my shift at the library, I changed into comfortable clothes and packed a bag with some food, water, my toothpaste, toothbrush and two daggers, and went for my perimeter run.

Usually, perimeter run consists of going around the perimeter three times at every 2 hours interval from 12 am - 6 am. I was done with the run and it was almost 12:30 now, I tried to get some sleep, my body was exhausted from all the work I have been doing since morning.

I closed my eyes and listened to the sound of the fire burning and cackling. The owl hooted every now and then. I could hear footsteps not very far from here, they belonged to the patrolling group which consisted of six warriors. I had my alarms set to wake me up every two hours until my time was up. Just when I was about to fall asleep the familiar pain shot through my body. I lay still, trying not to fight the pain but just endure it and get it over with as soon as possible.

The pain spread through my body like venom, fast and all at once. I struggled to breathe, every breath I took felt like fire in my lungs. My heart clenched and beat rapidly like I was going through a cardiac arrest. The pain in my head felt like I was being hit with a sledgehammer repeatedly. My muscles convulsed, I could feel cramps in multiple places. I could only see black spots for a while until the pain subsided. The pain went away slowly leaving me weak and sore. Thankfully, there was no blood this time. Sleep engulfed me soon enough until it was time to wake up again.

Exhausted, I climbed the last two steps before dragging myself towards my room. It was now almost 6:30 am, I was done with my perimeter duty, I got almost no sleep which is why I was going to nap for an hour before going to work. Opening the door, I flung my body onto the bed and was snoring in a few minutes.

******

I was sitting on a bench outside the library. It was almost 10 pm, I was done with my double shift. I was way too tired from yesterday's and today's work, I was physically incapable of driving. The constant pain that kept erupting in my body because my mate had a free day and a high libido didn't help my case one bit. I had to pop a couple of painkillers because my body was still aching.

A car stopped in front of me and I looked up to find the familiar Black Honda City parked in front of me. Stephanie poked her head out of the window with a huge dorky smile on her face. Behind her Harry waved burgers at me with a huge smile.

"Get in, bitch!" Stephanie hollered.

I got up and made my way to the backseat. I closed the door and sighed in relief when my back hit the seat back. I closed my eyes, giving them some rest. Slow R&B music filled up the car as Stephanie pulled out.

"Here, eat some food" Harry said handing me the burger.

I quickly unwrapped it and took a bite out of it hungrily. Stephanie looked at me from the rearview mirror and chuckled at my almost animalistic behavior. I raised my middle finger at her as I bit into my burger again.

"How was work?" Harry asked.

"Fucking tiring, I had to stack hundreds of books all day" I complained.

"Does my boo boo need a massage?" Stephanie asked with a wink.

"Hey! No more winky massages, I know that was your code for sex. You are my mate now!" Harry whined.

I chuckled "I do need a massage, a real one."

We joked around and finished our burgers before stopping for a milkshake. I handed some cash to Harry as he went inside the diner to get us milkshakes. Stephanie killed the engine before turning around in her seat so we were face to face.