Chapter 37

Heather's POV

I walked inside my room, switching on the lights I was scared for a second because of what I was seeing. Sitting on the bed, in the dark was Drake. He seemed to be thinking hard. He looked up to meet my eyes, his own eyes were red and swollen.

"Drake, what's the matter?" I asked, slowly making my way towards the bed.

"I couldn't do it, Heather. I couldn't reject him, I couldn't reject my mate. I have been secretly dating him for the past few weeks, we have had sex too. I cannot leave him for you, I truly love him. Not that I didn't love you but his love, it's different, it makes me want to change, to become better. I am so sorry, Heather, I know this must be breaking your heart, it is breaking mine too. I am probably going to lose my best friend" Drake said, tears were flowing out of his eyes at this point. He sobbed, I could see the sincerity, heck, I could feel it. He meant whatever he just said.

"Have you told him that you are his mate?" I asked, my voice a bit shaky.

"Yes" he replied.

"Does he love you?"

"Maybe, I don't know. I haven't confessed my love to him yet, I don't know if he loves me but I know that he likes me a lot" Drake answered.

"Go Drake, be with your mate" I said before walking into the bathroom. I stripped, entering the shower I turned on the hot water. I let the steaming water carry my emotions. A sob escaped my mouth, tears streamed down my face mixed with the water from the showerhead. The water cascaded down my numb body as I sat in the shower, cross legged, hugging my knees to my chest. I was hurt, I was beyond hurt. I left my mate in an instant for him and he just left me. He broke our promise, our pact. He didn't love me enough. I could hear banging on the door, I could hear a voice yelling on the other side, calling my name.

The door burst open, Cooper huffed, she was breathing hard. She walked closer, she got into the shower, turned off the water. She grabbed a towel and wrapped it around my naked body. She urged me to get off the floor, encouraged me to take her hand and stand up but my brain was unable to process any of it. I was in my own world, I was in an abyss, I was alone with my thoughts and my loneliness.

Cooper sighed, she picked me up bridal style, carried me inside the room. She sat me down on the bed, walking towards the wardrobe, she grabbed some clothes for me. Th next thing I know, I am laying down in my bed, my clothes were changed, my hair was dry and I was covered with the duvet. Cooper got up to leave when I caught her hand to stop her.

"Don't go" I whispered.

Cooper sat back down, she leaned forward so she could look me right in my eyes, "I am just going to get you something warm to drink, I will be back in 5 minutes." I nodded, I let go of her hand. "Will you be okay alone or should I send someone else for the hot beverage?" she asked, her face showed how concerned she was.

"Send someone else" I said in a raspy voice.

"Okay" Cooper said. She was silent for a minute, probably having a conversation with one of her friends via the mindlink. Cooper sat down beside the bed on a chair, she put me in warm clothes.

"Why did you come to find me?" I asked.

"Your emotions were way too powerful, I could feel everything you were feeling. I just knew you were hurting, so I was hurting. I couldn't stay away, I had to make sure you were okay" Cooper replied.

"What do you feel?"

"It feels like a very familiar feeling, it feels hollow, empty, lonely. There is this part of me that aches continuously as if waiting to be made complete, it feels like I am lacking something. I feel like I am suffocating like I am out of oxygen yet I am surviving" Cooper explained.