Sunshine Child

There was a child, roughly 15 years old at the time, in a city called Cyfoes. He was an ordinary kid, for the most part anyway. Attending school, making friends, going back home, and doing his homework, you know, the usual. One day, however, he was in the way of something that would change his life forever.

"Roses are the definition of beauty. Their thorns show the pain hiding away in someone's elegance. Their colors show to us that we can be as diverse as them and still be equal."

Mother, I think of you as a rose. This phrase here says that they are beautiful not because they are pretty, but because they show us to be strong against our worries and troubles and that, no matter how we are on the outside, we are all equal on the inside. ¡You work yourself all day and still take care of me at night, you make dinner (although a small humble one), you help me with my homework, and sometimes you even cry in silence in your room because you don't want me to worry about you! I... um... pretend you didn't hear the last part. But, yeah. I think you are the most beautiful red rose there is in this world.

Thank you, Oliver. I am very happy to hear you say that and, well, indeed, I sometimes cry but, it is nothing to worry your pretty little head about, ok? It is just that, sometimes, I get lonely and reminisce about your father. I loved him very much, and he helped us get through difficult times when you were still only a baby. Still, I think I should behave like the rose I am, right? ¡Strong, beautiful and caring!

¡Yeah! But, mom... don't force a smile while crying when saying those things, ok? I am here for you. No need to be sad when a rose like you has the light of a sun-like son like me to help her grow and shine through dark times.

Oliver... Come here, let me hug you. You truly are a sunshine child...