Until Rust Shuts Us Down

On moonlight's eerie sounds, whispers of love sprung out of the mud. Reaching my ears, I shutter in awe. Forbidden shackles tie down the sins I long since buried in my heart. And now, the rust of them cover my eyes, blinding me from the sight of a putrid error.

The grave means the end for everyone. All of us share the same destination, no matter what we make of our lives. I somehow knew it, and yet, I went against nature to challenge the be all end all. All because I couldn't accept that which makes life so valuable, makes it finite, the uniqueness of it, and the strength it takes to let it go and move on when the time comes.

I was oblivious to the significance of it. I tried to deny it. My whole life was meant for one being and one alone. My purpose was only to live and protect him. ¡The one who taught me to live, that pulled me out of a nonexistent reality I wasn't aware of until I got out of it! Or, so I thought. Now, I realize that some things are meant to perish so we can appreciate their true value.

I was such a foolish being. Dragging down my heart six feet under just so I could see him again. I tinkered with his peaceful rest when he taught me not to cling to such a selfish wish. I had to do it. ¡I couldn't wait an eternity to see him again because robots don't die! ¿What was I supposed to do? I now live an eternity alongside a decaying shell of the man I once called equal.

We shared the same wires, the same format, and the same heart and mind. Now we share the same fate of never finding the end of all. Of never looking back and being free of pain. I was created with that fate. He got rid of it in me and I paid him back by installing it on him. Thanks to my selfishness, our love became just a looping algorithm.

Rust is covering us from head to toes, it has been one hundred years since I dug him up. Today would be our 100th. anniversary. And so, I have decided to give us a gift for our century together.

I shut us down.