Memory Fragments

This is a story about two men. The first was named Edward, and his narrative is about how he saw the world around him and opted to transform it for good. At least, the good he caught in his visions. The second man was named Faust. His tale is entwined with Edward's, and, along the way of his story, he undertakes a path that differs from the human heart.

We begin with Edward. A man built on principles that he fought so hard for that, in the end, they were contorted and used for him to be seen as a messiah. His supporters were changed. Were cured and perfected. His adversaries were tailored for their benefit. Willingly. But most importantly, his world, his home, and his heart were mechanized with no errors.

His motives are deep, complex, and grounded. The perfect background for a perfect villain. Thought before action, the principles of responsibilities, material attachment, the loss of a loved one, how people change, past inner monologues, ideals versus truths, the loneliness of the soul, sacrifices beyond the human horizon, but most importantly, the human imperfection.

Then, we have Faust. A total mystery for many, even for himself. With a past he's trying to remember by forgetting, he starts his journey after fathering a young little girl named Gabriela. Although that meeting is not the beginning, Faust finds himself constantly reflecting on thoughts beyond his lines of work as both a mechanic and a private detective. These thoughts often leave him confused and distant from others, preventing him from doing his work correctly. That's why Gabriela is there.

Gabi (as Faust tends to call her) is an orphan 18-year-old girl with a remarkable talent for problem-solving and task keeping. She helps Faust with things like keeping track of the garage's inventories, pending works to do, groceries and parts acquisitions, everyday schedules, clues for investigations, and, basically, his entire life. She even cooks for them from time to time (though, she's not that good at it. You know, simple dishes. Like cereal, sometimes, without milk. Or a spoon. Let's leave it at that).

One day, Faust found himself working on a particular case when he heard a speech and was riled up by it. A simple case, by the way. But, unbeknownst to him, that case would lead him on a spiral far deeper and twisted that would eventually change him from the outside (physically) and inside as well as those around him.

One hundred souls were fragmented and introduced. One hundred memories were gathered. But, tales from memory and speech alone tend to not be one hundred percent accurate. Perhaps they were jumbled up. Scrambled inside a confused mind. A mind that thinks they are his own. Out of order, out of character.

The redemption of a soul lies in imperfections brought forth by the humanity of the heart tempered and perfected through time and life's existence. One final choice is to be made. Humanity's short-lived life, or a machine's endless time? There's no third option. No happy endings for everyone. So, choose your ending and tell me about it, ok?

Our book concludes and, thus, I ask you to share it, would you? Thank you. I will see you again in another entry. Until then, have a good day and or night, and farewell.