Chapter 5 {Detention}

Detention.  What a way to start off the school year.

I sit at my desk in the nearly empty classroom, watching the minutes tick by. For every minute that goes by, I count down to the remaining time I have left to spend here.  It's earlier quiet except for professors papers shuffling every now and then, reminding me why I'm here. It's cruel of the professor not to let us read or do other work in here, though I do suppose it's somewhat fair, given how the students in here were brought here for a reason, something disruptive or bad from their actions had put them here, "serving their time" until professor decides they've learned their lesson, and let's us leave.  Professor decides I've learned my lesson after sitting for 2 and a half hours of silence.

The common room doors creaked open as I walked in. By the fireplace, comfortably seated on a couch, is Bellatrix. She accompanied by her friends seated next to her. I was surprised to see Tom seated with them. I freeze as they all stare blankly. I open my mouth to speak, but nothing comes to mind. Bellatrix's mouth forms into a wide grin.

"I- um-"  I didn't know what to say, I just wanted to be in my room, away from all this.  I wait for her to say some witty remark, I wait for someone to say something. But they all just stare at me as I make a fool of myself stuttering back.

Finally, after a "long" minute of nothing, I turn to leave up the stairs.  "Leaving so soon?"  Bellatrix finally says, stopping me once again.  "Yeah I um- homework?"   I stupidly spit out from pure nervousness.  She giggles at my answer.

The rest of her friends stay quiet.  "No that can wait, come sit with us. We MUST catch up don't ya think?" The tone of her voice was very frightening, it was almost like yelling yet calming despite of what she was saying.  Quickly, I try to think of an excuse to say otherwise.

"I-"  Tom interrupts me.  He clears his throat loudly, directing Bellatrix's attention to him.  I stopped, not bothering to finish my sentence as Bellatrix looked over and Tom, confused for a few moments before rolling her eyes and letting out a sigh.  "I'm afraid We'll have to continue this for another time, toodle loo."  She sinisterly smiled as she slightly waved at me.

All four of them got up and began to leave the room, out the doors. Tom's shoulder hit mine as he walked by, shoving a book into my chest. I grab the book before it falls, confused as to why it's in my possession.

I don't look at the book until they all leave, the noise of the doors closing loudly is my cue to leave to my room. Going up the stairs, is when I finally look at the book. I very quickly recognize this book. I know it.  I have it. I was reading it on the train.  But why would he give it to me?

Unless...

This is the same book, unless this is MY book. He took my book. But when did he take it? Why did he take it? Why did he give it back if he took it?

I have too many questions and the only way I can get answers is by talking to him. Once in my dorm, I toss it on the bed. I'm exhausted, I just want to sleep right now. Crawling into bed, the book lays next to me. I stare at it, as my mind races.  What if he ripped a page out?  What if he did something bad? Why did he have it in the first place? Maybe he found it?  Maybe he was just returning it?

Getting paranoid, my thoughts got the best of myself, and I grabbed it. I flipped the book open to my chapter and very quickly noticed pen marks in the book. It was black ink that was underlining,circling and crossing out words and sentences all over the pages, throughout the entire book. There were even little notes on the sides of the page that Tom wrote on "improving" the book. I flip through all the pages and see these pen marks on every page. I grow with anger, as I flip through more pages.

Why did he have to write his opinions in my book? Part of me wanted so badly to go get up and yell at Tom, but my other half wanted me to just sleep and do that tomorrow. Before I could do something I'd regret, I slammed the book down and switched off my lamp. 

Who does he think he is to do something like this?