Chapter 7

*TOM RIDDLE POV*

My eyes widened as I watched her sink back to the bottom. I kept waiting for her to kick back up to the surface and grab her out but she never did. I watched closely as her eyes slowly closed shut just before she breathed in a significantly large amount of water.

This isn't what I intended. I didn't want to kill her, just shut her up. I didn't know what to do, I grabbed my wand and tried to remember a spell to get her out, anything at all, but i just couldn't. I grew frustrated at myself and pulled at my hair. I looked around the room, knowing that I was running out of time, I panicked as I looked back at her motionless body.

She can't be dead. Not yet. I have to do something. I can't leave her like this. I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. 

 Without thinking I tossed my wand on the ground and jumped into the water. When I got to the bottom I grabbed her arm and dragged her to the surface before pulling myself and (Y/N) out. I laid her on her back and checked for her pulse. It was beating but exceedingly slow. I wasn't sure on what to do.

"Fuck." I whispered to myself as I began to tug on my hair once again. She's going to die. She's going to die. She's going to die unless you do something. I knelt down next to her again and checked her pulse once again. It was still at the same slow pace.

 I really wasn't sure on what to do, I can't just let her die, I'm honestly surprised she isnt by now, considering all that water she inhaled. I stared at my wand on the ground, thinking of what I should do. I tried to think. Think. Think. Think, Tom. 

 I remembered Madam Pomfrey. I grabbed my wand as I pulled my pocket watch from out of my pocket. The halls should be empty by now since class has started so i have no need to worry about nosey students. I held my wand in one hand and carried (Y/N) in my arms before casting an Apparition spell to teleport me to the hospital wing. It was the only way I could get her with me. The only way I could keep her alive.

Madam Pomfrey was reading at her desk when I teleported, causing her to nearly fall out of her chair. "Oh my! Please come through the door next time dear- oh my, what's happened to you two? You're soaked"         "I saw her fall into a lake from my dorm window, I think she inhaled some water."  I lied as I placed (Y/N) into one of the beds.                 "Oh dear ok, thank you."   

I nodded and began to quickly walk out. I got to my dorm and began to change into a dry set of clothes. As I brushed my hair out, I thought about what might happen when (Y/N) wakes up. I wasn't able to erase her memory in time before she fell in. I can only hope she doesn't remember what happened. I smoothed my hair back just before leaving the room and heading back to my secret chamber. The halls were now filling with more and more students as the class ended for lunch so I had to be sure I wasn't going to be followed again.

As I got to the bottom of the hole ( from the ladies washroom sink thingy), I landed on my feet, nearly falling due to something wedged under my foot.

I lifted my foot up to see a few books scattered across the floor, as well as a wand. I almost immediately realized it was (Y/N)'s. I stared down at them for a moment, deciding whether or not I should bring them to her. She doesn't deserve having her books, she followed me and forced this whole thing upon herself.

 I almost killed someone. She almost died. I could have killed her. I made up my mind and grabbed them after deciding that I didn't want her coming back down here to get them herself. As I gathered everything, I walked up inside and towards the fairly large puddle of water in the middle of my path. I stared down at it for a minute, I somewhat felt the smallest bit of regret for not grabbing (Y/N) out. I looked to my left down at the water, it was still slightly moving back and forth. I stared down at the bottom of the water, my memories kept coming back, picturing her down there, struggling to breathe. I tried to get her picture out of my mind by shutting my eyes, and it worked. You almost killed someone. You almost killed someone. You almost killed someone. Why does this bother me so much? 

I shouldn't have just watched her, stared down at her while she gasped for air and pleaded for help. I should have grabbed her the second she fell in. I grew frustrated with myself and pulled out my wand, transporting myself in front of the hospital wing doors.

I looked inside through the door windows , (Y/N) was still unconscious and Madame pomfrey was about to stick a needle in her arm. I carefully watched (Y/N)'s facial expressions as she did so. I'm not really quite sure what I expected to happen but nothing happened since she wasn't fully conscious. She's ok. She's ok. She's ok now. I watched her for a few more seconds before heading back up towards the common room.

It was still lunch, the common room was somewhat filled with students. I quietly walked up the stairs to (Y/N)'s door. I tried the door handle and opened right away. I sighed in annoyance from (Y/N) not locking her door even after I fixed the lock. I lightly shook my head and walked in. I slammed the door shut and locked the door before admiring the oddly clean room. I neatly placed her books and wand on her bed. I placed her books neatly on top of one another with her wand by its side. Why doesn't she have her wand with her? It doesn't matter to me. I don't care. I don't care about what she does. 

You almost killed her. The thought yells in my mind, over and over again. She's fine now, there's nothing more I can do.

Fresh clothes. She needs dry clothes. No. No it's not my place. 

 I quietly left the room, locking the door and quickly walking down the stairs and back to the Hospital Wing, new clothes in one hand. You almost killed her, it's the least you could do.