Chapter 39

I sat in my bed, my back up against the headboard, fiddling with my fingers as I glared at Tom from across the room.

His back faced me as he continued to do his work in silence, slowly drowning away from reality.

I continued to glare at him, getting more and more irritated from him by the second.

"Are you controlling me?"

I watched as he abruptly stopped writing as I spoke, staying silent for a few more seconds before finally answering.

"No.

After a few seconds he began writing again.

"Are you manipulating me?"

"No."

He paused for a brief moment but soon went back to writing.

"Are you using me?"

He fully stopped this time as I finished my sentence, dropping his quill on his paper before bringing his hands to his face.

"What could I possibly gain from that? From any of these ridiculous questions?"

Quickly, he stood up from the chair, slowly gathering all his things in a pile.

"It's just a question, are you?"

I watched as he turned my way with an annoyed look on his face.

"Well?"

-I asked, raising an eyebrow as I spoke, much like Tom would to me.

"Does Henry have something to do with this? With these endless questions?"

"No."

-I lied before speaking again.

"I just want to know."

Tom clenched his jaw as he took a few steps closer to me before saying-

"No I'm not controlling you nor am I manipulating you or using you."

-Walking even closer to me as he spoke.

I swallowed hard before I spoke again, trying my best to hide the fear I had inside from Tom.

"Then what am I to you?"

He stopped walking as he got close enough to touch without extending an arm all the way.

"What does it matter?"

-His hand coming closer as he slowly bent his back down to my level-

"It matters to me..... I want to know."

"Well..."

One of his hands snaked its way up my neck and to my chin as he quietly talked.

"What do you think?"

Grabbing my face closer to his, I felt his hair lightly scratching at my forehead before I felt our lips touch.

Though this time it didn't feel tense or forced or even fearful, it just felt calming yet exciting, felt as if the butterflies deep down in my stomach were going off like firecrackers.

(Terrifying sight to witness, Don't try to imagine it)

Tom didn't pull away quickly after a few seconds, he sort of hovered over as he slowly moved his head back a bit, our lips so close yet they couldn't touch.

Finally, he let go of my chin, letting my head slowly fall back to the headrest as he steadily stood back up straight, still staring at me, his fingers fiddling with the dozen rings placed on his hand.

"Call us what you like, but in my opinion it's not that hard to take a guess."

I slightly nodded as I looked up at Tom, his face slightly red with his eyes still staring at me before he quickly glanced away.

"Go to sleep, it's late."

"What will you do?"

-I quickly asked-

"I'll leave if you'd like."

"No, I'd like you to stay, please."

"I have to go to sleep as well though."

I hesitated for a moment before saying-

"You can sleep here if you'd like."

"The chair isn't very comfortable-"

"With me then."

He stared at me for a minute, his mouth twitching as if he wanted to say something but forced himself not to.

"Fine."

-He answered as raised one of his eyebrows before heading back to the table.

"I have something I need to finish, so suggest you sleep instead of waiting for me."

"Fine, goodnight."

"Goodnight."

-He responded as I got comfortable in bed and switched off the lamp.

"Lumos."