Romitri's Unexpected Future (Part 2)

RPOV
It was our little Elvira (Ela) Belikova's first competitive cheerleading tryout today. She was five and we wanted some semblance of a normal human childhood.
Naturally, we were already training her to kick ass, but we wanted her to be able to get something positive out of her abilities and training.
She was amazing and put into a Mini (5-8 years old), Level 2 team. She loved her new team, new coaches, and the more intense training. She knew she was different but she didn't care. She was special, but it didn't go to her head. She was loved, and that was what mattered most to her.

Eight years later and she was what is called a 'lead tumbler', carrying that section of her routines. Her already fine tuned dhampir senses of reaction time, balance, speed and strength were enhanced thanks to her genetics—and it made her an ideal, world-class competitive cheerleader. She channeled my sass and attitude into every performance and had her father's dedication and passion. We watched every competition and performance. We also took great pains at home to ensure she knew her routines inside and out.

At thirteen she was learning how to stake. And officially trying out for the gym's marquee Senior (13-18 years old) Small Co-Ed Level 5 team. The California Allstars Smoed. She'd grown up with the coaches and come through the training program. She had all the tumbling skills she needed, the passion and commitment. She was well rounded and focused but the team was high profile and she was up against who knew what—from around the world. The team could only have between seventeen and twenty-one girls and they had to be the best of the best worldwide.
When I say the team had a high profile I really do mean its athletes came from around the world. She had watched the YouTube series and been in the gym while they had been shooting.
She'd even been an alternate they'd called on this past season to help compete at NCA Nationals in Dallas. She had come home with two of the coveted jackets for winning two of her three divisions—one for her regular team and another one she was an alternate for who was needed as a fill-in on due to a training injury taking out that team's lead tumbler two days prior to the competition.
She'd then competed at Worlds at Disney World with the team, coming home with a ring.
She knew what was expected of her but Dimitri and I made sure she knew that just because she'd maintained a spot at the end of last season didn't mean she'd gain a spot to fight to keep this coming season, especially given the age grid had changed and we suspected it was because the Levels were going to change the following season, even though there hadn't been an official announcement yet.

"Mama!" Ela yelled when she got home from her Level 5 and 6 callbacks. "Here Mama! I did it!" She handed me a letter from Cali Allstars confirming she had as much of a spot on Smoed as anyone ever did, especially at the start of summer. You never really stopped trying out for this amazing team.
"You did it, baby girl!" I hugged her and smothered her in kisses, it caused her to giggle—as usual.
"Mom! Let me go! I've got to have a shower and start homework." As she was homeschooled, she insisted on working through the summer... she definitely got that from her father, not her mother.
"Fine!" I ruffled her hair and let her go. I turned to Dimitri and confirmed, "She's actually got a spot.... It's such a high profile team, though."
"She's earned it. It makes her happy and gives her a sense of normalcy. The guardians aren't going to go looking for her in a Cheer team—it's its own world. Let's go sign those forms."
"Okay." I was reassured, but only just.

I was certain it was only a matter of time. Lissa hated my guts for leaving without any explanation, but wanted her bond mate back nonetheless. She was the queen now and the pressure was mounting, the darkness increasing, but I refused to take any that didn't naturally leak into me. As tempting as helping her was, compelling even at times, I always maintained my resolve. And my barriers.

By Worlds that season Ela had become proficient at staking. She put that into action when we were swarmed after leaving the competition. It was just late enough that it was dark—something we always tried our best to avoid. It was a battle to rival the ambushing of St Vladimir's but the three of us got them all. The Alchemists did clean up and no humans were hurt or taken. No human even realised what was going on.
Ela, however, was understandably left shaken and clinging to her brand new baby sister.