Choice: Part 3

RPOV
"Bringing party crashers, Dimka?" A woman gracefully skated to a stop and immediately struck up a conversation with Dimitri. She was a Moroi, and very pretty, but a pink scar marred her left cheek and looked as if someone had taken a bite out it. When I spotted Lissa and Christian a ways behind her I immediately knew who she was. Tasha Ozera. Quickly, though I doubted it was quickly enough, I diverted my gaze.
"It's impossible to keep Rose from places she shouldn't be." Like your room, Daddy.
Tasha laughed and shook my hand. "I've heard a lot about you, Rose."
I glared at Christian.
"Don't stress, it was all good."
"No it wasn't!" indignantly cried Christian.

My left hand hid in my coat pocket when we toasted marshmallows over a fire in an old log cabin Dimitri had earlier told me was a disused watch post. We all shared lighthearted conversation, all catching up. Especially Tasha and Dimitri. My chest threatened to collapse under the pressure in my chest, the feeling of exclusion... and jealousy, I reluctantly admitted. My secret wouldn't be a secret much longer, but for the moment, it hurt so incredibly much it felt as though I was tearing in two. It had barely been 48 hours since I had found out and it wasn't sinking in, yet it was sinking in all too quickly.

That was further proved when I had to bolt from the cabin, feeling too nauseous after the marshmallows and just because of the haywire hormones. I barely made it to the closest cluster of trees.

Tasha'sPOV
"What's that about?" I asked Dimka after Rose bolted from the cabin.
"I'll be back," he rushed out and followed his student out the door.

I'd heard how pretty she was, but nothing could have prepared me for how... Mature her beauty was. No wonder she had the reputation and track record with boys that she did.
But I couldn't help but notice how she keep gazing at Dimka out of the corner of her eye... almost possessively. Someone apparently had a schoolgirl crush on her older mentor.

Lissa's expression changed to one of grave concern. Very few things made the Moroi and dhampir sick.
"Do you mind if I go see...?" Her eyes flicked between me and Christian.
"Not at all," I excused.
Christian grimaced but let his girlfriend go after her best friend.

"Do you have a clue what's up with Rose?"
Christian shook his head. "None." He turned musing for a few seconds before correcting himself. "Well... I have one, but it doesn't make any sense... She's been rushing out of class much like that for the past week and a bit... And eating differently."
"Are you alluding to what I think you are?"

Rose Hathaway, pregnant? I just couldn't imagine it. I mean, I get the male attention she clearly receives and plays up to, but I just didn't see it in her to not be safe. She was obsessed with guarding Lissa and was in the top three of her class again. So why would she risk her career with a child?

"She hasn't been around guys in that way- Belikov's been running her ragged and taking away her time."
"Then what's wrong with her? 'Cause I can't see her being that irresponsible."
"Don't ask her about it- she'll never confess. At least not until she shows, given she even is." He was protective of Rose, I realised. Much as he clearly fought with her.
I'd even noticed Dimka flicking his warm brown eyes in her direction, and there was a protective glint in them too, alongside the possessive.

DPOV
"Where's the closest place a girl can shop at this hour?" asked Tasha after Rose's bout of morning sickness- which was more like All Day Sickness.
"Missoula," the bound friends replied wistfully. Then Rose turned to me and pointedly pouted hopefully, oh hell no! She knows I struggle resisting that pout and those pleading eyes. "Maybe we could sneak along?"
Even Lissa was looking hopeful.
"I guess I should grab a coffee," I heard Tasha say as I deliberated.

Oh, fine! Rose was carrying my child and may not get another chance to go shopping. It was still dangerously early days, but she would be wanting to hide this as long as possible.