Running

RPOV
"Roza! Roza what's up? What wrong?" Dimitri started going frantic when he saw my face as I walked into the gym. It's was after school training time and I wasn't changed- with good reason. It was 4 weeks after the cabin and I was 2 weeks late, breasts hurting, nauseous and (beginning three days ago) vomiting each morning, and bloating. I had seen the doc last class and the result was as I'd thought. I was pregnant with my mentor-turned-lover's baby. I was scared of his reaction- both as lover and mentor.
"Uh. Um. I... Well you see..." I was stammering and stuttering- I, Rose Hathaway, never stammer or stutter.
"Roza?" he was on the verge of tears, accent so thick it made my heart squeeze. How could I do this? How could I tell him what's impossible is possible?
"Dimitri. I need to tell you, but, like the ghosts, you need to at least try and keep an open mind." I led him to the store room, shutting and locking the door behind us. "Come here" I grabbed his hands. "The ghosts were possible, weren't they?"
"Yes."
"I've never been normal. So, if the ghosts are possible, why not" I put his hands on my tummy "why not a baby?"
"Surely not?"
"I've been in your arms all night every night since the cabin."
"What about grad?"
"First things first comrade. Training, todays'."
"No."
"No?"
"No." Just then his phone rang.
"Belikov... She turned up... Sure... We'll be there ASAP." He turned to me "let's go- it's Alberta." We left.

We knocked when we arrived at her office door. "Come in!" She yelled. We entered. "Shut and lock the door." We did as ordered. "Sit Rose, Dimitri. Did she tell you Belikov?"
"Yes." Contempt and disappointment dripping from his voice. Although I knew it was faked it still kinda hurt.
"How did you react?"
"I'm her mentor. How was I supposed to react?! She's essentially ruined all the work she's put in with me! Ruined any chance of becoming Lissa's guardian- if she even graduates!" The most emotion I'd ever heard was coming through his voice. I knew it was faked but at the core was a kernel of truth- as my mentor he'd have very right to feel this way. And I responded to that faked emotion with my own. I openly wore my guilty expression- a kernel of truth lay there as well. I actually did feel kind of guilty. I had essentially ruined graduation, threw any last chance of guarding Liss out the window and if I stuck around Dimitri and Liss would be in disrepute because of my actions. For once, I didn't argue- I chose not to.
"I didn't mean how'd you react as her mentor? Rather, how'd you rect as the father?"
"What?" Neither of us denied the fact, but we weren't about to confirm it either.
"You two might have everyone else fooled- even Kirova, but not me. Rose, you did say the father was dhampir right?"
"Yes."
"I know you and Eddie are like brother and sister. You're not even close to any other class mates. Despite the rumours, I know it takes a lot for you to get close enough emotionally with someone and value your virtue. You haven't had time to be with anyone else but Belikov, he's the only one you're emotionally close to. And I can see it plain as day. Dimitri, I know you wouldn't give yourself over to just anyone either. You've focused all your energy, time and heart into Rose. Defended and trusted her no matter what. She's the only one you've really let in. The only one you show emotion for and around. You're the perfect team to guard Lissa."
"But the emotion and connection that creates the synchronicity, that makes us the perfect guarding pair, is what will put her in danger." It was a fact and I tried to say it without my voice cracking- and failed. Stupid hormones pregnancy hormones. Might as well run with the emotions now, "as much as I want to guard Lissa, I know my baby will come first. She'll be in more danger if I stay. I'll drag her reputation down, and Dimitri's- even if no one else knows the truth." I was seriously close to crying.
"If you go Rose, so do I. I know you've been out there alone but that was with Lissa, and without our child. I'm not leaving you. Not now, not ever."
"Alberta, what do we do?"
"Here." she handed me the dropout forms. "Belikov, I can give you an order to leave with her. She's 18 but needs your help. And I'll get Kirova to hand over one of the cars."
"Thank you."
"Dimitri- go pack up Rose's room. We'll deal with Kirova." He was out the door.