Pregnant Princess

DPOV
I was walking back into the academy with Tasha Ozera. It was Roza's trial today and I knew she'd excell. I left a month after the attack so Roza could focus solely on getting to graduation. That was four months ago. I knew she was strong but I knew she was heartbroken when I left. I had warned her I'd come back to her at graduation but didn't know what to expect. What awaited me was totally unexpected.

I watched her go through her trial and was amazed by how she'd grown. I was her last test. If she was as good as she could be, if I'd trained her effectively, she wouldn't hesitate. I stepped out onto the field just as she thought she was supposed to be done. She caught one look at me and ran. She didn't attack, she didn't freeze, she ran. Why? I had noticed she was protecting her abdomen more than her head but why? I hadn't got a clear enough view of her to see. I went through my lessons and rules with her in my head after walking off field trying to think why she'd run. It wasn't something I'd taught her, was it? My first lesson, my first rule had been 'never hesitate'. She had just, in a way, broken it. Why? What was that woman thinking?

A little something was telling me I was missing something. The key was in an element of training that had become so mundane it seemed insignificant. So when had I taught her to run? She was excellent. She wouldn't need to run from her enemy. Ever. The more I thought about it the more confused I got. Until I hit the track. Shit! It was obvious. I had told her if she was outnumbered, outclassed, out-skilled or weaponless to run. It was a lesson that had become just a general part of fitness and endurance. She'd succeeded and exceeded expectations in Spokane and more importantly the attack. She would never need to run, so why from me? Surely she could whip my ass within seconds now.

I had been musing for over an hour now and decided to head to Rose's dorm. I knew something was up. But she needed time to sort things out if she'd run out of the most important test of her life. I approached her door and heard Lissa was with her. I did something I almost never do, I eavesdropped.

"He saw, I froze and ran."
"You didn't freeze Rose. You simply ran."
"I felt it. I froze for a fraction of a second- enough that if he'd actually been Strigoi would have gotten me killed, or worse. So I ran. I broke rule number 2: 'never hesitate'. I had to run. Rule number 1: 'if you're outnumbered, outclassed, out-skilled or weaponless what do you do? You run'. It was that simple. I couldn't protect her from a test from him. It just wasn't safe. She was essentially all of the above against him and therefore so was I. Run was the only option I had."
"She, Rose?"
"I found out just before trials. And did you get anything other than 'you're getting a niece' out of that?!" She laughed.
"I heard everything else too Rose. I think I get it. The question is 'what is he going to think?'"
"I really don't know Liss. I mean, let's face it, I'm a Royal dhampir Princess of a dying line who is shadow-kissed and bound to her best-friend-turned-sister as well as pregnant with her old mentor's baby. What would you think?" Okay, what the hell?!
"Hmm. You've got a point there. Next question. Do you still love him?"
"Yes. I do. He's my other half and the last four months have been hell. So many changes and the one person my heart and soul needed by my side was off guarding your boyfriend's aunt."
"I know Rose, I know." Lissa sighed. This had clearly been a well discussed topic and repeated conversation. I guess it was either my turn to leave or knock. I did the latter. God I hope this doesn't blow up in my face. Lissa answered the door. "Guardian Belikov." she simply greeted, voice perfectly smooth and emotionless. Uh oh. What had gone down in the last four months?
"Let him in Liss. I knew it was only a matter of time before he'd show up." My beautiful angel's voice came from her bed. Lissa let me in. Something told me Lissa had said something through the bond but the pair didn't give anything away.
"Ro-" I didn't know what she was ok with me calling her. I looked over to her on the bed. She had her legs kinda crossed but a bump, that could only belong to a five month pregnant woman, was hindering it. It actually seemed to increase her beauty immeasurably. I froze at the sight and, when the beauty hit, one of my rare smiles pulled across my face. I knew she was probably expecting a lecture or disapproval or anything other than the smile and positivity that a knew I was radiating. I would have instinctively known this child was ours without the eavesdropping.
"See something you like comrade?" She smirked as she copied the time I caught her in the lounge with Jesse Zeklos. "Oh and it's Roza to you, my love." My smile widened further if it was even possible.
"Roza," I sighed happily. "I see a little someone I like. A big someone too miss moo."
"Are you ever going to get your sorry ass over here Daddy" she grinned mischievously. That made it hit home and shot me into action. I had my arms around my family in milliseconds, kissing Roza's cheek and the bump that was to be my daughter. Roza actually giggled.
"I think I'll leave you two to have some family time." Lissa quietly interrupted us.
"Oh no you don't Liss. Ung-unh. Nope. I can get family time later. Try the rest of forever later. We have news to break." Rose said half seriously half teasingly.
"Damn you Rose!" Lissa mocked offence.
"Okay. What's going on you two?" I asked with Roza still in my arms. I had a feeling I knew.
"Uhh. How does one start this conversation. Any ideas Liss?"
"Just spit it out Rose!"
"Uhh. Well you see comrade. Well.." She couldn't get it out.
"Oh for heavens sake Rose. Give me minute."