Packing Belikov's room (2)

Janine'sPOV
Alberta had instructed me to clean out my daughter's mentor's room. I had no clue why me, but I did as instructed.

I wasn't surprised by most of his stuff. Clothes, books, hair bands, stakes, and ridiculous dusters. It was the bare basics a guardian needed to live by and make himself comfortable. (Or herself in the now-rare occurrence of a female guardian.) I found what I expected to find in his dorm.

And what I didn't. I didn't expect it; I didn't approve of it; I didn't like it (or its existence) in the least. I didn't want to see it. I didn't want to acknowledge it. I didn't want to believe it. I didn't want to know about it and didn't want to process it.

My brain, however, decided I couldn't ignore it. My brain decided I couldn't deny it and made me somewhat-accept I couldn't change it. He was, essentially, dead. So it didn't matter, really, because nothing could be done. You can't press charges against a Strigoi or a dead man.

What slipped out of one of his books was something I never wanted to see. It was something I couldn't un-see. It was something that made me rethink both my daughter and Belikov's reputations and images, it made me rethink what I knew of them. It also made me realise I didn't know either of them... And I wasn't the only one who didn't.

What slipped out, what was sequestered inside- possibly and likely- being used as a bookmark, was a photo of them. Together. As in 'together' together. In a way they shouldn't have been. And it wasn't just one image, but two. A basic collage. The top one was of them staring at each other from the corner of their eyes. The other one, was of them locking lips. The intense look of their faces-in both images- told me it wasn't simply some physical attraction or something faked. I flipped it over and read 'forever my Roza'.

The connection was there, and it was deep. They were emotionally involved. And it had been going on for quite some time, too. They were emotionally and physically involved with the other. My daughter and her mentor were sleeping together. Well... They had been. It wasn't a line I expected or anticipated either to cross, and it had been shocking to learn.