61

Chapter 61:
Is this the end?

In a four-cornered room where lights aggressively shinning to the brightest it can be with machines that were seen operating from side to side with flashing lines, beeping sounds and wires.

Encircling fragrance of strong alcohol and anesthesia surrounds the ambient--yes, indeed, it was a hospital room...the intensive care unit to be exact.

A patient with eyes closed that was silently sleeping, lying down on a single bed with it's white mattress and cold temperature caused by the low setting of air conditioning.

Deafening silence was found inside it, no one dared to speak nor break the stillness of the demesne they were in.

Doctors monitoring the blood pressure, heart beat and everything... They can't assure what may happen to future for each minute that ticks were certainly unforeseeable.

One person had arrived, wearing the proper attire for this place he entered with a tear on his eyes that glimmer once struck by light--he was crying and in pain.

"Will she be okay?" he asked with concern and crestfallen face of uncertainty and sadness.

A doctor tapped his shoulders and said, "She have 72 hours allotment to wake up if she won't open her eyes before the time ends... I'm so sorry to tell you--" he stopped for a while as he took some deep breaths before continuing, "But by that time she will be declared dead along with the baby inside her." he finished with a sad look while gesturing the others to leave the room with him since they had done their work for now.

Leaving him and her alone, "You had been sleeping for a week already Leni, gising ka na--kailangan ka namin ng mga anak mo," he weeped over with grief, he was frantic and unable to look forward for the future after this devastating event.

Gently raking her hair, moving it to the side so her face would be seen clearly,"I want to see your smile again, my love... I'm not ready to see you in a coffin, I would never be happy to plan your wake--please, please... I'm begging you." he pleaded, asking for his beloved to wake up and see the world how it was again.

A day had passed which was 24 hours that had been counted and if only he could stop time, he would really turn back the clock and redo what's had been done, warning his future self to save her from the incident that caused this nerve-wracking dilemma.

He didn't leave her side from the day he arrived, he doesn't wanted to go anywhere as long as his wife remains in the bed of life and death.

Almost more than a day was left, each hour that was passing just brought fear and trepidation to him by slowly losing hope and faith for her to wake up.

"Gising na ang asawa ko, sabay tulo ng luha pero with her monalisa smile radiating with positivity and enthusiasm like she's always be." he intently sand those words with such mellow and smooth rhythm, a lullaby perhaps.

He stopped for a while, staring close to her... Attentively watching each of her movements if only she would move.

"Please Leni, wake up--I love you, I need you..." he whispered with pain, he was hurt to see his love like this.

But all of his stricken anguish slowly faded once something slapped his sight...

A sign was seen, it was a single flick of her finger that ignited the hope of fire once again making him rush out of the ICU and call for everyone else to check if he wasn't dreaming.