Chapter Two

Wolfsbane

Chapter 2

Branwen

About five minutes later, I found myself cycling into Aberdewi football club's car park, and I could hear the shouts of the coach from the other side of the small stadium. Although it was almost fifty years old, (some rich family nearby had endorsed it or something), it was well kept, one of the jewels of our county. The white paint recently refreshed, the bushes trimmed, and the smell of freshly mown grass filled the air as I walked through the visitor's entrance.

Since Toby's birthday in October and Rowan's in January, they've been part of the University's football team, ready to start officially when they begin their degrees. Rowan was rising up the ranks, his past experience as football captain at the high school giving him the skill needed. Toby, although with less training, was mainly there because his father had been, he preferred the wrestling team.

Today was just a practice game between the reserves and the main team, and the stands were almost empty as I walked up to a deep blue seat behind Toby's goal. Getting out one of my schoolbooks, I attempted some revision; I could never follow the rules of the game. Despite being invited countless times to watch them practice, I usually stayed at home to do my homework, too nervous for the players to see me stick out in the empty stands. I was always there for their games, but even now as I shifted in my seat, one of the players pointed up at me, and I flushed scarlet. Did I misunderstand them? Was I not supposed to be here?

Don't be stupid, Bran, I thought to myself, They practically ask you here every day.

Toby turned around as the player, too far to hear, spoke. His hair was falling into his eyes and his face was covered in sweat, but he grinned and waved up at me, one of his goalkeeper gloves flying off.

I giggled as the coach yelled at him again, and he tore after the glove, blowing away in the April wind.

I watched them and studied for another forty minutes until the coach blew a long, final whistle of the night. I took my cue to follow the team as far as the changing rooms, and waited outside.

"That your girl?" One of the boys asked from behind the wall. Funny, I thought the changing rooms were all the way down the corridor, they must have left the door open.

"The blonde girl? She's our best friend." Toby laughed.

"That's Branwen?!" The first voice seemed astonished.

"No, no, no, Jase, you leave her alone now." Rowan said, and I heard the thwack of a ball flying across the room.

"One of you has dibs, huh? I'm guessing Mr. Keeper because you have far too many girlfriends for her not to notice."

"Please, Beyonce could be dancing around with nothing but a football glove and Tobs wouldn't bat an eye." Jason laughed, causing another ball to soar across the room.

"Just leave her alone." Toby huffed irritably.

"Maybe she's seeing someone?" A new voice spoke up, and I recognised it as one of my classmates from Biology, Owen Young. An English boy who happened to be best mates with Lauren's other side piece when she wasn't messing around with Rowan. It was odd that he would try and defend me.

"She better not be." Rowan laughed to himself, and I heard the lockers slam shut. I backed away from the entrance slightly just in time for the boys to meet me. Rowan slung an arm around my shoulders, ignoring the jeers of the other teammates.