Chapter Twenty-Three

First comes sadness, then anger...brace yourselves.

I hope you guys enjoy! 

Wolfsbane

Chapter 23

Branwen

He shrugged, "What's wrong?"

It sounded so trivial when we had other things to worry about. Fitting in with the other packs, training all of us to be able to defend our land, keeping the humans safe.

But this wasn't just about me, it was about him. I needed to know if he could truly handle it, and this wasn't just a ruse to make me move on without him.

Goddess, I sound shallow.

"Owen asked me to Prom." I said in a rush.

Silence for several minutes. I heard the rush of water running into a nearby pond, and the sound of his breathing, but he was quiet.

"Owen...Young? Defender Owen from football?" His face was scrunched up in confusion.

"Yes."

"When?"

"Just after the Biology exam."

"Hmm."

"I said yes." After another five minutes of stony silence.

"Cool."

I felt a sudden rush of irritation," What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing." He shrugged, shifting slightly further away from me on the bench. I stared at his retreating form in anger.

"Well, what was I supposed to do? You wouldn't go with me, and he asked and I said yes." I said bluntly.

He shook his head, "I don't know, it's your choice...do whatever you want."

I shoved myself to me feet, suddenly wanting some space between us, "Please, nothing about this is my choice. I'm doing the best we can with what I have. I don't want to be alone my whole life, why not start looking for someone who actually wants to be with me?"

"I just think it's a little fast, that's all." He continued to look down at his feet, and his disrespect had me fuming.

"Is it because you're worried you'll go through what I did? Terra barely talks anymore. She's hiding beneath the surface because she's holding my soul together by a thread. You said the words, and my heart shattered." Tears pooled at my eyes and threatened to spill, and I turned away from him.

I seemed to get a rise out of him," You think I'm that heartless? That I would do that to you knowing how much it would hurt? I can't do this, Bran. Not with you, not with anyone. I...I thought I was clear on that at Rowan's."

I pressed my fingers against my temples, feeling a headache brewing.

"Well that's your decision, but you cannot question mine when I'm trying to heal and move on. You don't have that right." I said between gritted teeth.

He groaned, and I heard him push himself to his feet, "I still care about you, you idiot! That will never change. I just don't want to fight over this, there's no point."

"Like there was no point rejecting me, no point leading me on for weeks, and no point being jealous over something you refuse to change. You're right, Toby. There is no point. Go back inside, enjoy the party." My hands suddenly dropped to my stomach, anxiety causing it to tighten up like a corkscrew.