Chapter Fourteen

Wolfsbane

Chapter 14

Branwen

As I crept back upstairs, cool water bottle in hand, a thump from one of the bedrooms made me pause, one bare foot hovering over the stairs. I listened again, and then heard heavy breathing.

Nightmares again. Terra said sadly to herself.

I sighed and made my way to Toby's room, gently knocking.

"Toby?" I whispered into the dark, but my eyes quickly adjusted. The duvet had been tossed to the floor, explaining the thud, and he was sweating, his hands jolting every few seconds.

I carefully placed a hand on his arm, and he was startled awake with a groan. His head whipped around, and I lit up my phone screen so he could see.

"Again?" He asked.

"Yep." I answered, reaching over for his lamp. The warm glow filled the room.

"For gods' sake." He mumbled into his hands.

"Has anything changed?" I asked him, patting his bare shoulder, ignoring how my skin sang in response.

"I think they're moving closer, but they don't do anything, or say anything, no matter what I do." He sighed.

"Maybe we should tell your dad." I huffed, grabbing his duvet from the floor and tossing it over him.

"It's just bad dreams, Bran. What good will it do?"

"Well, I've never heard of reoccurring dreams as bad as this. It's almost every night since I've been here."

"I guess it's anxiety for tomorrow."

"Well technically it's today." I jabbed a thumb at his alarm clock, showing it was past two in the morning. He rolled his eyes and flopped onto his back dramatically.

"Thanks, smartass."

Maybe if you shared the bed, the nightmares would go away. Terra suggested.

Wow, what a terrible idea. I retorted.

I think it would!

You'd think sharing his bed would mean another sun would appear in the sky just so I'd jump into bed with him.

Just ask? He can only say no.

"Do you need me to stay?" I asked in a rush.

He shrugged, and I took that as a no.

"I'll go back to bed then, okay?" I went to get up from my perch on the edge of the mattress, when I felt his hand gently take my wrist.

"Yes?" I narrowed my eyes at his hand.

"Well, maybe...it could help...I think...." He trailed off, not meeting my eyes.

"Maybe you should tell me tomorrow." I laughed as he appeared to struggle to get the words out.

"It...may help."

I raised an eyebrow at him," Really? You don't think you're too old for this?"

"Bran, I've not slept a full night in almost a month. Humour me? Just so we can rule it out?" He pleaded, and I noticed how tired his eyes looked, and were bloodshot in the corners.

I huffed out a breath as Terra rejoiced," Fine, scoot over."

He turned to face the wall, and I flipped the covers over me, facing the room. In the quiet, I tucked my arm under one of the pillows, and quickly drifted back to sleep, and I was almost certain the arm that snaked across my waist was part of a dream...