Chapter Ten

Wolfsbane

Chapter 10

Branwen

I paced the door to the children's ward anxiously, my curls bouncing around my shoulders at every pace. Having been discharged, I was supposedly cured. My scars were all but disappeared, the bones strong, but my mind wasn't.

I spent last night with the TV blaring various friends episodes to keep the nightmares at bay, but it didn't stop me from waking up in cold sweats every few hours. Terra tried to calm me, but every time I closed my eyes, I could hear my own screams, feel the weight of the men holding me down, and the smile of the man in the shadows.

I had to tell them, if this was what was waiting for them outside the hospital, they had to know.

From what you told me, it appeared that you were being recruited by this other pack. Terra said.

"Pack?" I whispered, wringing my hands.

A group of wolves, it's a community lead by a leader called the Alpha. They're the only ones who can change others.

I scoffed at the empty hallway," Like we're gonna join him."

No, once you join a pack, it's extremely hard to leave. Not something we should decide without the others. Not like I would let those heathens order us around.

A nurse opened the ward door, peering at me curiously," Branwen, you're already looking so much better!"

With my greasy hair and white face? Of course I am.

She held open the door and I smiled at her, ducking under her arm. The ward was bonkers as usual, with small children running around the polished floors, parents flagging down nurses to ask their eightieth question about what foods their sons could eat, and various beeping noises that aggravated my sensitive ears.

I'd made it to Toby's door when I remembered another reason to be nervous. That strange golden light that knocked me over yesterday. I'd been so freaked out last night it had been pushed to the back of my mind. Did Toby see it? What was it?

One thing at a time, I'll explain once you tell them.

I rolled my eyes, and placed a hand on the shiny handle. Taking a final breath to ground myself, I opened the door.

The first thing I noticed was that Toby was sat up in bed with a single IV attached, but his face was almost clear of cuts, only the large laceration down the side of his face remained, and a few fading bruises around his neck. He smiled widely when I came in, nudging Rowan with his foot, who was watching TV from his wheelchair.

"You're back!" His voice was still a bit dry, but he seemed a lot better than yesterday. I felt a rush of happiness when they lit up, and I held onto it for bravery.

"I've got something to tell you both." I rushed out, locking the door behind me. I pulled up a plastic chair and sat near Toby's head.

"I thought you were okay...you were discharged." He said, his eyes full of concern.

"What's happened?" Rowan asked.

I took a shaky breath," This is gonna sound nuts."

"We'll listen." Toby reached out and put his hand on my shoulder, and I felt the warmth from his hand seep into my skin.

I spluttered a few times, the words sticking in my throat, but they waited.

"Two nights ago...I..." I cleared my throat again," This is hard."

Wolfsbane- Chapter One in the Warren Pack Seriesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें