Chapter Twenty-Five

Wolfsbane

Chapter 25

Branwen

"Princess Branwen dear, you must give the honour of a dance!" Rowan yelled as he cut through the crowd. Several couples turned to stare, and I went red.

"Good sir, may I borrow your lady fair?" He bowed low to Owen, making fun of his earlier statement.

"Go for it, I'll swap partners for a while." Owen grinned at me, before disappearing into the crowd.

"You goof." I smacked him.

"I have to dance with the prettiest girl here." Rowan smiled, holding out his arms.

The song finished, and 'Dancing in the Moonlight' started, several people cheering. We stared at each other for a second before bursting into giggles.

"Fitting." He took my hands and...I guess you could call it dancing, but his skills never evolved beyond spinning me and some other strange dance moves.

"Is he treating you right?" He asked, between his moves.

"A true gentleman." I laughed, as he spun me into his chest a little clumsily. I pulled my train just in time to save it from his shoes.

"I don't need to talk him down?"

"No, definitely not."

"It's great to see you happy, Bran." He said genuinely.

I blushed," I'm sorry for what happened."

"Don't be embarrassed, you can be happy now."

"I guess I can."I gave him a small smile, turning into a fit of laughter when he almost knocked another couple over.

"I'm gonna need a few more lessons before we have any balls of our own."

"Shh!" I whispered, but the music was so loud humans had no hope of hearing us this close to the speakers.

I think he missed his ex, despite how badly she treated him, he kept accepting her back with open arms, and seeing her dance with Tom, and latching onto Owen for a song hurt him. We twirled together for a while, trying to forget who we were really pining for.

Once the third song had ended, and he released me," See you in a bit, Bran. Enjoy yourself."

Owen was still with Lauren somewhere, so I started walking over to the bar when a voice stopped me.

"Where's my dance?"

Toby walked through the throng of people in a navy blue suit. I smiled breathlessly. He really did look handsome.

"You came!" I went back as fast as I could in the damn shoes.

"I saw Rowan doing those sweet moves I came as fast I could to rescue you." He laughed. He held out his hands," I thought I'd have one dance, just to say I took part."

I took his hands, and he pulled me closer than I thought he'd dare.

"Well, we practiced enough."

"The times I was forced into being Prince Charming helped too." Bringing that summer where I dressed as Cinderella back to the surface. I internally cringed when I forced the two of them to watch those happy movies with me.

"You were not forced." I rolled my eyes. He was always more into the dancing than I was.

"Are...are you having a good time though? Is...he behaving?"