34. Aren't Roses supposed to be Red?

Start from the beginning

Katniss walked down to the centre of the pit and picked up one of the white roses. "Why would they drop these?" Gale questioned.

"For me." She replied after a few moments.

"Ready to go, Katniss?" Cressida questioned as Castor and Pollux set up the cameras. "We're gonna do this just like district 8. Tell me about the Roses." Katniss's expressions held confusion and contemplation and when Cressida didn't get a reply, she continued, "Tell Snow 13 is alive and well."

"He's gonna kill Peeta." She finally mumbled.

"Can you speak up, we don't have a mic on you." Cressida tried once more. "Thirteen is alive and well and so am I."

"I can't do this." She whispered. "He's gonna kill Peeta. He's just gonna keep... he's never gonna stop." Her breathing became short and laboured and Haymitch stepped forward to calm her down.

"Cressida, we should cut the cameras!" Effie called out.

Katniss pulled away from Haymitch's arms and spoke in a fast whisper. "No. He warned me about this. He's doing this because I'm the mockingjay. He's punishing Peeta to punish me. I can't do this"

"Katniss-" Cressida tried to reason, but Katniss cut her off.

"Dont make me do this!" She yelled before walking back towards the small entrance, disappearing behind the rocks.

"Well that happened. (Y/n), you wanna shoot this propo?" Haymitch asked and my eyes slightly widened in surprise.

"Uh sure, I guess."

"Wouldn't the people think that Katniss is dead and we're using (Y/n) to cover it up?" Gale replied.

"That is true. That's true." Haymitch nodded to himself. "I'll talk to Coin and figure something out."

"Alright everybody, back inside!" Boggs announced.

***

A few hours later I was sitting in the command room vaguely listening to whatever Plutarch, Haymitch and Coin were planning when Newt bursted into the room, a wild look on his face.

"We are in! Beetee hacked the Capitol's system!"

My jaw dropped as I stood up and immediately followed him to the control room a few door down the corridor, the rest of the people inside the room following close behind.

"The dam was a major source of electricity to the Capitol. When that was destroyed, most of the power went out and knocked out their defence system. Beetee used that to get in and now he is causing all sorts of mayhem!" He laughed. We entered the room to find Beetee typing away at the computers and Finnick watching with an extremely confused face.

Coin and Plutarch bombared Beetee and Newt with questions while I pulled Finnick aside. "I have absolutely no idea what just happened, but I'm assuming by the way Newt's jumping around like a kid high on sugar, it's something good." He mumbled.

"I think it means that we are very close to bringing Annie back." I said with a smile.

Finnick's face lit up and a bright smile took its place on his face. "Oh god, I can't wait, (Y/n)."

"I know, Finn." I said, leaning my head against his shoulder. "I know."

"Do you think we should send the rescue team now?" Newt asked Coin. "We have a window. This all would be a waste if we let it close without getting them back."

"My sources say that the victors are being held in the tribute center." Plutarch supplied.

"You're right, Mr. Cresta. Boggs assembly a rescue team immediately, volunteers only. Mr. Abernathy, fetch Ms. Everdeen, please."