Chapter 42: Get Out Of Jail Free

Though he was skeptical of whether or not (Y/n) would truly want to see him, Enmei didn't have much choice in the matter. Asuka began to push him down to the sublevel, grabbing the keys to the door from Sora who gave a curious look to Enmei. However, he didn't fight over it, giving the keys up without much resistance. At the same time, his phone began to ring, and he threw it across the phone, shattering it. It seemed he had enough of the blonde adventurer trying to call to ask about (Y/n).

While it made Asuka laugh, Enmei began to shiver, making her push the boy out of the room and give Sora his much-needed space. The ravenette then turned to follow the two, though he didn't go into (Y/n)'s room. Instead, he moved around in the sublevel, likely visiting another torture room. While the orange-haired female didn't question it, the grey-haired boy seemed to know where he was headed, but he didn't feel bad for the poor soul Sora was out to torture.

As Asuka inserted the key into the lock of (Y/n)'s room and opened it, she gave a pose when she entered, announcing her presence to the younger girl. Enmei stepped inside of the room as well, albeit shyly and quietly, closing the door behind him. The (h/c) haired girl looked up from the book she was reading at the time and gave a kind smile to Asuka, glad to see her carefree and energetic self.

"I brought a friend," the female sang, pointing to Enmei who lingered by the door.

The grey-haired boy's face went flush and he looked down at the ground, drawing a circle with his food on the floor. He was clearly nervous to be around the girl, not knowing how she would react. Yet she gave a calm and sweet look to him, giving him a sympathetic look. This was enough to make him come out of his shell if only slightly, and he stepped forward, giving a wave.

"I didn't think I'd see you," (Y/n) commented, earning a small wince from the boy, "Not that it isn't nice. Are you doing better?"

"Oh, yes. I recovered pretty well," he said quietly, fiddling with his sweater that covered his neck, "I, uhm, want to say sorry. I acted rather rude to you when you were just trying to get to know about me. I just don't like that part of me is all."

The boy sat down next to the girl and curled up, pressing his knees to his chest. He gave a faraway look with furrowed eyebrows, clearly in great concern or worry. Meanwhile, Asuka was refilling (Y/n)'s bag with different snacks, books, and clothes. The girl seemed intent on making sure the younger female had everything she needed. When she finished, she stayed to the side, letting Enmei have his time to speak with her.

"If you want, you can ask about me," the grey-haired boy said quietly, "About me being a slave, I mean. There's not much to tell though."

"I guess my main question would be," the girl paused, giving a concerned look, "does Sora treat you poorly?"

"No, of course not. He's only ever acted kindly to me. He didn't brand me like his father does to his slaves, and he never overworks me. I get fed, a room, clothes, and I get paid, too. It's just when his father is around that he acts as if he despises me. It's only so his father doesn't hurt me to teach him a lesson. So, no. Sora is very kind to me."

"That's good," (Y/n) sighed, putting her hand on her chest to show her relief as she exhaled, "I would have punched him if that were the case."

"Yes, well, he and Asuka are about the only ones that are kind to me, besides you, of course," Enmei frowned, hiding his face in his legs, making his glasses push up his nose, "Slaves aren't treated kindly, especially ones like me that get special treatment."

(Y/n) sighed, knowing that what he said was true. The reason he'd been roughed up in the first place was because the men picking on her turned their attention to him. And that was because he was a slave. They seemed to take enjoyment in his pathetic state even when he was only trying to help her. She couldn't imagine what others would have done, especially to a kind boy in the Gensai Group.