Chapter 37: Hide And Seek

The previous day had ended and the next began, the sun rising and shining through the windows. The curtains blew with the gentle breeze that flitted from the balcony. As it did so, it danced over the (h/c) haired girl's eyelashes, and she began to wake from her sleep, finding herself pleasantly surprised. As she sat up, she found a table in front of her bed, fresh flowers and an array of luxurious sweets placed there.

As she swung her legs over the edge of the bed, she picked up one of the treats and took a bite, surprised by the delightful taste of the fruit tart. She then looked at the astounding arrangements of the flowers. They were clearly of the highest quality, not a single one out of place or wilting. Some of them were exotic flowers, others beautifully colored roses and lilies, surrounded by smaller flowers.

Then (Y/n) turned her attention to the note on the desk. It was filled with a beautiful calligraphy-written note. She saw her name written in an elegant font, meaning the letter and platter of sweets were indeed intended for her. As she opened it and read the note, she saw it was a card of gratitude. It was from Sora, surprisingly, most likely written in his handwriting which was oddly noble-like. Though he didn't state exactly what he was thanking her for, it seemed like she'd made a great impact on him.

The writing had crude words in it, but she could tell it was full of heart, especially if he went out of his way to write it and send her gifts. The (h/c) haired girl gave a little smile at the thought of his strange generosity, and took another fruit tart, greatly enjoying the taste. As she got dressed for the day ahead of her, showering and brushing her hair, she heard the door open as well as some footsteps heading her way.

"Quack, quack," Asuka called, giggling as she did so.

(Y/n) gave a little quack back as she exited the bathroom with her just-brushed hair. The orange-haired girl seemed pleased with her response, giving a beaming smile as she held her hands up. The younger female smiled at Asuka's cheerful mood and watched as the orange-haired girl observed the spread at the girl's table. She seemed fascinated, leaning over on it and giving a large, questioning hum.

"Sora did this?" she asked, snickering as she did so.

As soon as she took interest in the gifts given to the younger girl, she lost it, and, instead, led the (h/c) haired girl outside the room and downstairs. There, they were greeted by Enmei who gave a quaint smile, joining them for breakfast. He held some files in his arms, but he didn't bother to put them down as he ate, holding them close. They must have been incredibly important and confidential, although why he didn't put it back in his office, (Y/n) didn't know.

The grey-haired boy only blew on his cup of warm cider, finding it to fog up his glasses. In doing so, he sighed, and took them off and cleaned them, irritated. It seemed every time he took a sip from the drink, he repeated the action. It made the (h/c) haired girl wonder why he didn't just take his glasses off, but he simply didn't. Her eyes then trailed from his glasses down to his neck.

His sweater covered any sign of the metal band she'd seen just the other day. He wore long sleeves and though it could be considered summer, he still wore the stuffy clothing in order to hide any evidence of the collar. As he noticed the girl staring directly at where it was, he shied away and frowned, looking to the side. He seemed uncomfortable with her relentless gazing, making her frown as well.

"I'm sorry," she said quickly, rubbing the back of her head, "I just...We haven't talked about it. Is there a reason you hid it? Sora doesn't treat you poorly, does he? And your mother - "

"I don't want to talk about it," Enmei said lowly, "It's part of who I am, I know, but I'd rather not address it. Sora doesn't talk about it, Asuka doesn't talk about it, I don't talk about it. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't talk about it."