FORTY-NINE

[them]

NAMJOON'S eyelids felt heavy. they sunk down bearing a heavyweight. he rubbed his tired eyes with his fingers. he was groggy. namjoon slowly turned, looking at the girl in front of him.

"haru." namjoon blinked, "what are you doing?"

haru looked behind her, "oh, good morning namjoon."

haru smiled. her smile shined brighter than the stars as she grinned at the black-haired man across from her.

"i'm vandalizing."

namjoon broke into ripples of laughter, "why?"

haru was carving little details into the cemented walls. tiny stars and flowers embedded the gray cement.

"why not."

namjoon leaped from the ground. he wrapped his arms like chains around the shorter girl, locking her into a warm back hug.

"you're too cute, you know."

a rosy blush seared up her face. her face flushed a light pink. she felt his chest pressed up against her back, holding her tight in a soft bear hug.

her heart pounded out of control in perfect synchrony with his. the world around them melted away as the warmth between them was shared. she didn't want him to let go.

as they parted, the cold breeze surged in between them, replacing the tender happiness.

namjoon looked outside the cell, "since when do we have a guard here?"

haru shrugged, "he's been there since i woke up."

namjoon stared at haru. how on earth were they going to escape now?

"well, i guess this is our new home." namjoon plopped towards the ground, "i'm going to make myself comfortable."

haru sat down beside namjoon.

she winked at him, "i've got an idea."

***

namjoon paced around the room.

"i don't feel very good, haru." namjoon held his forehead.

namjoon took in deep raspy breaths. his fingers shook as he stood up. his legs felt weak.

"haru-"

namjoon collapsed to the ground. his body laid still on the concrete flooring.