THIRTY-FIVE

[jin]

JIN had cuts grazing his face. he looked suho in the eye. they were covered in bruises, painting in purple and blue hues. how long had suho endured this?

"hey suho." jin piped, "want to hear a joke."

suho didn't reply. jin assumed he wanted to.

"what kind of shoes do ninja's wear?" jin stifled a laugh.

"sneak-ers."

jin's laugh echoed within the cell. suho let out a light chuckled at jin's humor.

"how do you do it?"

"do what?" jin titled his head.

"how are you still cracking jokes?"

jin pursed his lips into a fine line, "i wasn't always like this."

suho furrowed his brows. he hadn't ever met someone like jin. jin had the same sense of humor suho had. he was able to crack jokes while being beaten. he admired the confidence jin had.

"what do you mean?"

suho and jin had grown close despite the little time they had spent with each other. suho had a right to know about jin's past.

"my past wasn't all sunshines and rainbows." jin smiled a warm smile.

his father crouched down beside the little child,

"what do you want to be when you grow up, jin."

jin clutched the stethoscope in his hands closer to his chest. his favorite toy set.

"a doctor." jin peeped, "i want to save people."

for years jin's only dream was to become a doctor. throughout his years of middle and high school jin studied as hard as he could to make his dreams become a reality.

he took entrance exam after exam in hopes of possibly getting into a good university.

jin walked to the mailbox, he held his breath as he opened the mailbox.

his hands grasped around the letter inside.

seoul national university

all his years of studying came to this one moment. he had hoped for the best and worked as hard as he could.