THIRTY-EIGHT

[them]

NAMJOON'S eyes snapped open. he was covered in a cold sweat. his heart pounded against his ribcage at an alarming rate. his fingers trembled as he sat upright on the bed.

namjoon had never forgotten his first kill. it stayed lodged in his heart as a deep wound.

he turned his head, glancing at everything present in his room. he rubbed his eyes, shivering from the distant memory.

"i'm sorry, kookie," he mumbled, "i didn't want to do it."

haru's eyes fluttered open at the sudden jostling of the bed.

"what the fuck do you want now?" she mumbled groggily.

haru turned her head towards the black haired man. she noticed him trembling. her eyes softened. she noticed how the man beside her trembled. haru knew namjoon had a nightmare. she had experienced her fair share of them.

haru sat upright on the bed. she moved right next to namjoon.

"hey." she gently rested her hand on his shoulder, "what happened."

haru didn't know what washed over her. in her right mind she wouldn't be talking to namjoon. however, she felt the pain he did. she saw herself waking up in a cold sweat, longing for someone to listen to her, someone to ease her sorrows.

namjoon didn't hear haru. her words slipped past his ears.

haru tapped his shoulder again with the lightest touch.

"namjoon?" her voice was soft, "you can talk to me if you'd like."

namjoon didn't know what to expect at haru's sudden kindness.

his voice shook. his fingers still trembled. he felt as if it all had happened again. he saw the same chocolate brown eyes that filled with tears.

namjoon's throat turned dry. he stared into his hands, now filled with a stain of red.

"namjoon." uncle jeon's voice wavered, "take jungkook with you and leave."

uncle jeon struggled to breath. his breaths came in short gasps.

namjoon's eyes welled with tears. the dagger in his hands was now painted in blood red. the blood of his best friend's father.

"i'm sorry." namjoon chanted.

he didn't know who he was chanting it to. he didn't know if he felt sorry for himself, or jungkook or even his father. he felt sorry for all of them. most of all, he was mad at himself for falling into a trap perfectly set up by his father.