FORTY-FIVE. house of slander

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

River didn't know what was more annoying — the last-minute French exercise she was trying to finish or Alfie Lewis trying to hit a ping-pong ball into a trash can. It was definitely the latter than the former.

River looked up from her workbook, an annoyed frown on her face as she watched Alfie hit another orange ball to the trash can and it missed again. Alfie let out another frustrated groan as he took another ball.

"Do you mind?" River asked him just as he hit the ball and it missed again.

"I'm trying to prove that I'm a great ping-pong player," Alfie replied, taking another ball from beside him.

"Well, try a little quieter, please."

With a frown, Alfie turned his head away from the trash can and hit the ball in its direction. Surprisingly, it got in, causing Alfie to do a double-take and jump up in delight.

"Yes!" Alfie cheered. River rolled her eyes, seeing that she wasn't going to get any silence any time soon, and put her workbook back in her bag. Alfie let out a satisfied chuckle just as Jerome walked into the student lounge/drama room, causing both pranksters to look his way. Alfie gestured to the trash can, saying, "That was the shot of my career and I can safely say that because my ping-pong career ended when you chose Amber!"

"Alfie, no offense but just like that trash can, you stink at ping-pong," River began with a small smile. Alfie threw her a scoff, while she continued. "Amber's the best choice."

"Exactly!" Jerome agreed with the female prankster, gesturing with his arms to her as an exasperated frown held upon his face. "We need to win, Alfie. You know that." Although Alfie still was upset, Jerome approached him. "Yes, you might not be playing, but you have a better job," River and Alfie shared curious looks, wondering what Jerome was going on about, as Jerome pulled out something from his pocket. A silver whistle, "as coach."

As Alfie excitedly took the whistle, River stood up and threw her arms up in disbelief. "Hey, I thought I was the coach."

"Oh, yeah," Jerome uttered, forgetting that Mr. Sweet kind of appointed River as coach. "You guys can be co-coaches."

"Fine," River grumbled, sitting back down again with her arms crossed. She knew putting Alfie as co-coach was better than him playing with Jerome.

"Ooh," Alfie spoke as he marveled at the silver whistle in his hands. "I've always wanted a whistle. It's so shiny and whistle-ey."

Alfie blew the whistle, causing a loud sound to echo through the room. Jerome and River grimaced at the noise, with the former patting Alfie's arm.