SEVENTY-ONE. house of forgeries

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

River zoned out of the conversation Alfie and Jerome were having beside her as the trio made their way to the Frobisher Library where the rest of Sibuna was. The whole Rufus being back and him kidnapping Trudy and the possibility of Beatrice-Lake being back too was eating away her sleep. The members of Sibuna had formulated a plan last night. Well, somewhat of a plan. They, and Jerome, had to confront Jasper and with his help, get Trudy back. River didn't know how they were going to do it, but she wasn't going to go down without a fight. The trio of pranksters entered the library, seeing their friends scattered around the area.

"I had a terrible dream last night where Vera was a double agent, Rufus was a kidnapper and Fabian's Godfather was a mole!" Alfie said.

Amber shot a confused look at Patricia and River, thinking that Alfie was talking about an actual mole.

"A different kind of mole, Ambs," Patricia informed her as she stood up from the bench.

"Wish I could say it was all a dream," Nina responded. Jasper finally came down and faced the teens who all wore gloomy expressions.

"Ooh, grim faces," Jasper noted. "Well, what can I do for you?"

"Well, first you can grovel and then you can help us get Trudy and our dollhouse back," Amber told him, getting straight to the point.

Jasper's face fell as his eyes shifted to Jerome. "You shouldn't have told them, Jerome."

"Leave Jerome out of this," River defended her friend. "He had every right to tell us."

"He wouldn't have had to if you had been honest with me," Fabian declared, his voice sounding faint.

"I didn't want to put you in danger," Jasper reasoned. "Trudy got too involved and look what's happened to her. I was trying to keep you safe."

"Safe, shmafe." Alfie incredulously scoffed. "We're gonna bust her out, aren't we?"

"We have to," River declared. "The longer she's with him, the more danger she's in. Rufus doesn't play nice."

"Look, Jasper, we know Rufus," Nina said. "We go way back. He's pure evil."

"Which is why we need your help," Fabian spoke up, although Jasper seemed like he needed to think about this. "Well, you're going to help us, aren't you, Jasper?"

"You're the only person who's close enough to Rufus who can help us," River continued, her hard expression not falling. "Either you help us or we'll bust Trudy out ourselves. And if any of us does suffer fatal injuries, it'll be on your conscience."