SIX. house of faces

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

"Hey, guys, listen to this message my dad sent." Around the dining table that morning sat Jerome, Noah, Joy, Patricia, Alfie and Mick, waiting on River to finish giggling at whatever she found amusing on her phone. "Okay, if a child refuses to sleep during nap time, are they guilty of resisting a rest?" River looked up from her phone, receiving only blank expressions in contrast to her amused one. Her smile fell into a disappointed frown. "Nothing? Not even a smile."

Her housemates shrugged as the blonde jock beside her patted her shoulder. "Don't beat yourself up, River. You're great at pulling jokes, just not telling them."

"I am amazing at telling jokes, I'll have you know," River defended herself as she glanced expectedly between her best friends. "Jerome, Alfie?"

"Busy," Was all Alfie said. His phone was in front of his face and his eyes didn't fail to break away from the bright screen.

The female prankster sighed and faced her troublemaking friend, who rose an eyebrow and inquired, "You want my honest opinion on something that'll probably effect your self-esteem?"

"Good point," River muttered before glancing to her ex-roommates, who bowed their heads down. She let out an irritated sigh, looking to the last person left. "Noah?"

"Okay..." Noah set his spoon down in his cereal bowl. "The only reason you stink at jokes is because most of the time you tell Dad jokes. If you really wanna get people laughing, tell them about your life."

At that, River gasped while the whole table fell in laughs. Noah, who was laughing too, was about to tell River he was only kidding, when a spoon of oatmeal was thrown at his face. The laughter around the table increased and even those in the kitchen (Nina, Fabian and Evelyn) laughed too.

Noah let out a chuckle and was about to grab a muffin and fire it at River until Joy pulled his wrist down. "Uh-uh. We are not having a food fight right before school."

"Joy's right," Jerome said, causing everyone to look at him with shock. "We'll have one during supper."

"That's more like it," River muttered as she leaned back into her chair.

"Joke's on you, River," Noah remarked, wiping the oatmeal on his cheek with his finger and licking it. He sent a glare to River who sent one back. To the others, they were fighting, but to the pair of exes, they were finally rekindling their friendship. "I actually like oatmeal."

"No, you don't."

"No, I don't." The rest of the Anubis housemates laughed as Noah's face contorted in disgust before grabbing his empty glass cup. "Mick, mind passing the water?"