FOURTEEN. house of letters

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

"Why are you still wearing those sunglasses?" River gave her fashion-loving friend a perplexed frown as she walked up to her locker. She opened it and took out her notebook before glancing back at Amber. "You have your vision back. Unless it was an evil twin in our room this morning, criticizing my clothes."

"First of all, the criticism is only out of love," Amber began as River shut her own locker. "And second of all, my blindness is coming and going."

"Uh-huh." Yeah, River didn't believe that. Right now, Amber was checking her hair, using the mirror that hung in her locker, looking blind free. "Oh, Alfie's coming."

That was when Amber's lie broke through. She began fumbling around with her hands, pretending to not grab her own books in her locker. The blonde even added, "I wish I could see my own beauty."

"Wow, you are a brilliant actress." River chuckled as she shook her head. "Alfie's not here."

Amber played the whole thing off and flicked her hair. "Like I said, it comes and goes."

River rolled her eyes at her friends antics, but something else managed to catch her eye. She bid goodbye to Amber before walking up to the one of the last classrooms anyone wouldn't expect her to be around.

Mrs. Dubois's classroom. The art classroom door held a flier on it, one for the annual art competition in Liverpool. River opened her notebook and took out a piece of paper — the drawing Noah did of herself, Alfie and Jerome. With a determined look, she walked into the classroom.

Maybe Noah would be happy with what she was about to do. Or angry with her rash decision and not even informing him. Either way, River knew that she was screwed.

. . .

River was so thankful for the bell that cut Mrs. Andrews' tedious English lesson short. She wished she skipped the lesson, like Fabian and Nina did. Which was odd, seeing as both were 'goody-two-shoes', but River hoped they were patching things up.

"Ah, uh, homework in by next Friday," Mrs. Andrews announced to the students who were already standing up from their desks.

River stood up from hers, followed by Noah, and the pair were joined by Alfie and Jerome. The blonde boy turned to his friends. "Fancy a trip to town, guys?"

River and Alfie nodded their heads, but Noah pursed his lips. "Can't. Mrs. Dubois wants to speak to me. She said it's urgent."

River tried to hide her excited smile as the prank-loving trio watched Noah disappear through the doors with the rest of their classmates. Jerome faced River and Alfie. "The three of us it is then."