SEVENTY-SIX. house of illusions

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

"Eddie!" Patricia exclaimed Eddie's name in worry as the swords began to move toward him. She quickly moved from her spot and pushed him out of danger, causing both of them to land on the floor.

"Hey!" Eddie complained.

"You were about to lose your head! I-I mean, bang your head. Low ceilings."

"Thanks? I guess. Well, this is cozy."

Eddie reached for the blindfold again, but Patricia stopped him. "No, you can't take that off yet. I'm not ready. I'm... flossing. Anyway, there's somewhere else I need to take you, so let's go." As Patricia stood up and helped Eddie, the rest of Sibuna stepped aside for them. "Watch out, low ceilings."

"You're acting weirder than normal," Eddie told Patricia as the two headed for the tunnel. "You know that, right?"

Patricia didn't answer but continued guiding Eddie to the exit, leaving the five members of Sibuna to themselves. The group stepped forward, their eyes on the crossed swords. They couldn't stare at it for long and instead ducked under it and made their way to the newest chamber. Upon reaching it, River's eyes gazed around the room in bewilderment. There was a large throne and in front of it were more statues of the God of Anubis.

"Woah," Alfie uttered, expressing everyone's thoughts.

"This is so weird," River voiced, her eyes scanning the statues. There were two in the front and two behind them. The flooring kind of looked like a design for a game board, like chess or checkers. The wall at the end of the chamber looked like some door, but River couldn't really tell from where she stood.

"So this is the chamber of the Mask," Fabian pointed out. "But the Mask is..."

"Not here," Nina worriedly noted.

"No!" Amber complained.

"Wait, let's not panic," River advised, though she was starting to get a bit worried too. "Frobisher had to have planned something for this chamber."

"Maybe there's another door," Alfie suggested before he began to step forward, but Fabian and River quickly held him back.

"Wait, no," Nina said. "We don't wanna rush in. It might be a trap."

"Wait," Fabian spoke up, looking as an epiphany hit him, "I think this is a game. I've seen this board before. We need to look it up. Let's go."

. . .

Before the start of their English lesson, the members of Sibuna crowded around Fabian, who had his laptop on his desk. On his laptop was an Ancient Egyptian game with the same board piece as the one in the chamber — Senet.