SEVENTY-NINE. house of phantoms

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

River's eyes failed to move from the square Nina was on only a few moments ago before being dropped down. Her eyes teared up as worry flushed her. She didn't even want to think about the worst — that Nina Martin had truly vanished.

"Where did she go?" Amber quickly asked, her voice trembling.

"I-I don't know," River replied, her response coming out as shaky. River, Patricia, Alfie, and Amber began calling out Nina's name, their worried voices echoing through the tunnels. Though it was clear that they wouldn't be getting any response from Nina... wherever she was. As they all stopped yelling, Fabian's sobs replaced their noise.

"What do we do now? Can I get off the board?"

"I don't know," Patricia responded before looking to Fabian. "Fabian?"

However, Fabian was occupied with stressing over his mistake. "What have I done?"

"Look, Fabian, it's not your fault, okay? Okay, you just need to focus and tell us what to do."

"Alright. Okay, uhm," Fabian began to gather himself as he searched through his notes. River wiped the tears she didn't know were on her cheeks as she waited for Fabian's instructions. "Everyone retrace your steps."

"I can't remember," Amber confessed through her sobs.

"Amber, uh, step to your left and then back down on the side of the board."

River was thankful that she remembered her steps, but that didn't wash away her worry for Nina. She retraced her steps and got on the other side of the board where she was soon joined by Fabian, Patricia, Alfie, and Amber.

"My warnings ignored, now count the coast," Robert Frobisher-Smythe's voice was heard through the chamber. "Continue the task, and all will be lost. But if fallen friends you wish to reclaim, you have no choice but to finish the game."

"If we carry on, we lose everyone," Amber pointed out. "But if we don't, we're losing her forever."

"Well, wherever she is, she must be okay," Patricia spoke up. "Otherwise why would the message say 'reclaim her'."

"Exactly. Frobisher wouldn't say that for nothing," River added, trying to see the positive side.

"It doesn't mean she'll be back in one piece though," Alfie said. River sent him a glare; of all the things he could've said, that was the one? Fabian clearly didn't enjoy Alfie's remark, because he quickly made his way out with more tears escaping from his eyes.