FOUR. house of blackmail

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

"So, I see you're surviving your first week." By her locker the next morning stood River and her younger cousin, Patrick, who just approached her in need of a spare pen.

"Well, you were wrong," Patrick replied as River handed him a black pen. She knitted her eyebrows together, wondering what he was going on about. "People do make fun of accents. My accent."

"Hey, I said you wouldn't be the only American in the school, not that you'd be mocked."

"Well, the only good thing that came out of that was that I met the love of my life."

River raised an eyebrow at her cousin's dream-like smile and closed her locker. "Oh, really?"

"Yep." Patrick nodded, failing to remove his smile. "She's smart, she's funny, she loves to scam people. She's the woman I'm going to marry. I can feel it."

"Slowed down there, Romeo. You just met her." She chuckled. Whoever he was talking about sounded familiar. "What's her name?"

"Poppy." He let out a dreamy sigh. "And she popped her way right into my heart."

The dark-haired female's eyebrows were lined with perplexity. "Oh... kay. Just don't do anything that makes her feel uncomfortable or anything. Respect her boundaries."

"Oh, I am not taking relationship advice from you, Miss Heartbreaker." Her cousin rose his hands. "Yeah, I've heard the story of you and Noah."

River let out a scoff and rolled her eyes. "You've gotta be kidding me. Just so you know, he didn't cry, so—"

The girl was cut off by two sudden voices calling out her name. She turned to see Alfie and Jerome approaching her and Patrick; Alfie look as stressed as he did this morning and Jerome smiling with pure delight.

Upon reaching them, Alfie was the first to speak, "River, I need your help."

"For the last time, I am not pulling your finger." She rolled her eyes at him.

"No, it's not that. I need ideas on what to—"

"Hold on," Jerome cut him off before pointing to the twelve-year-old boy who stood beside River. "Who's this?"

"Oh, yeah. Right. Uhm, Jerome and Alfie," River gestured to the younger boy, "meet my cousin, Patrick Singh."

Patrick stared at the teenaged boys in amazement. "No way! The Jerome and Alfie? It's an honor to meet you guys."