SEVENTY-FOUR. house of timeout

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

River Lawrence had quickly concluded that Vera Devenish was not okay. Well, River knew she wasn't okay in the head, but right now, as the woman staggered toward Sibuna with her glowing Mark of Anubis palm outstretched to them, she physically wasn't okay. Vera did finally stop, though that didn't cause the relief to wash over River. She still held a disturbing face as Vera regained consciousness and blinked a couple of times. Seeing Vera frozen was creepy, but this... this was way worse.

"Am I late for dinner?" The woman suddenly said, snapping back to reality and finally taking note of the weirded-out faces in front of her. "Where are you all going?" All at once, the six teens let out their answers in a jumble. Amber said shopping, Alfie uttered paintball, Nina answered with library, Fabian gave a believable one of doing homework, River replied by saying she was going to sleep and Patricia responded with school. Vera, however, didn't question them. "Hobbies are good."

River watched the woman limp out of the corridor, her face scrunching up in pure perplexity. Of all the weird things she'd witnessed at Anubis House, that had to be the weirdest.

"It looks like Vera's all thawed out," Patricia was the one to break the uncomfortable silence.

"But did you see her palm?" Nina asked everyone and River nodded.

"She's been Senkhra-ed," Alfie declared.

"Senkhra said she'd make them suffer. She must've done something to her."

"Huh," River uttered as she crossed her arms. "Karma works out in funny ways."

"See, it's true, Zombie Veras do exist," Amber voiced. As Patricia, Nina and Fabian headed into the room, Amber turned to River and Alfie with a worried frown. "And it seems, can hear perfectly."

River and Alfie nodded in agreement before the trio stepped into the room. It didn't take long for the six members of Sibuna to get the rest of the reflectors. Now that they had all of them, they didn't waste any time as they hurried out of the room and the girls' corridor. Fabian led the group down the stairs, followed by River, Alfie, Nina, Amber, and Patricia. The group halted their steps when Victor spoke to them.

"Uh, uh, uh, uh," Victor spoke up from where he and Vera stood outside his office, "where are you off to?"

"We're going to the library," Fabian told him.

"To study," River added, though maybe she shouldn't have said that because Victor probably wouldn't buy the lie of her studying.

Victor pointed to each one of them, saying, "No, no, no, no, no, no."

River slumped her shoulders. No library meant no using the secret tunnel. Though there was another way — the long way through the oven in the kitchen. However, that option ruled out when Noah, Eddie, and Mara stepped into the entrance hall, back from school. The three of them looked to their friends on the stairs, greeting them with smiles before they headed into the kitchen.