EIGHT. house of nightmares

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

River hurried up the stairs, not wanting to be faced with Victor's scolding of her not being in her room after his infamous speech. Even though she still had five minutes. Fabian passed her in a hurry, most likely from her room because of his girlfriend.

She stepped into the corridor, hearing Victor's voice, probably scolding Nina and Amber. When River stepped into the room, Victor immediately sent her a glare and was about to yell at her for her tradiness before Evelyn Martin stepped into the room.

"Oh. Did I miss my curfew?" The woman looked down at her watch before clasping her hands together. "Sorry, Victor. Don't put me in detention, will you?"

River bit back on a laugh, sharing bemused looks with her roommates, while Victor grunted and left the room. The prankster let out a chuckle before turning to Nina's gran. "Seriously, what's your secret? I could use it to save me from future scoldings from Victor." Evelyn chuckled before waving her hand in the air. It was then when River noticed the fading smoke in the air, but when she looked around the room, she couldn't find the source. "What's with the smoke?"

"What smoke?" Nina questioned.

River narrowed her eyes at the two who were acting suspicious, but she decided to leave that at that. Maybe she was just seeing things. She was a bit tired, after all.

. . .

"I hate mornings," Mick voiced to his housemates.

That was one thing River Lawrence and Mick Campbell had in common. The former nodded in agreement as she took a sip of her orange juice, while the rest of her housemates (bar Nina and Fabian, who were hopefully on a date, and Alfie, who was... who knows where) remained quiet.

"Well, I love mornings," came the response of Mara Jaffary. River shared a confused look with Patricia. Since yesterday, Mara took Patricia's 'advice' the wrong way and, instead, turned into a literal nerd. She was wearing huge spectacles and began carrying books wherever she went. "All that peace and quiet for uninterrupted study." Mick sat down in his chair beside River, keeping a smile toward Mara. "We're so different."

"But so right." The blonde pointed to her with his spoon. The female prankster of the group glanced to the auburn-haired girl, both wearing baffled looks. "Are those new glasses? They're kind of..."

"Disfiguring," Jerome remarked with a hand on his chin.

Mick shook his head. "Well, I think they're cute. On you."

From the kitchen entryway appeared Alfie Lewis with his usual goofy grin on his face. "Princess Amber, your carriage awaits!"