EIGHTY-FOUR. house of trouble

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Finally, the guards made their play, though it wasn't one in Alfie's or Sibuna's favor. The guard before Alfie pointed at him before the floor opened up. Alfie fell through, his screams echoing the room. It took all of River's strength not to react or shout out his name.

"What was that?" Vera asked. "I tell you I heard something."

"Yes," Victor replied and River heard him stepping off the throne. "The sound of a boy falling to an uncertain fate. Harming the students was never part of the plan."

"Well, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few..."

"Release them."

"No."

"Lawrence, Rutter, Williamson, Millington, turn around," Victor commanded. Keeping a straight face and hiding her horror, River turned around with her friends to face Victor, who had his hand in front of Vera. "Say the release words."

"Victor, the Mask—"

"Say them!"

Vera sighed and reluctantly took out the piece of paper from her pocket. "Atum, Seveacu, Nemacu."

Victor and Vera hurriedly left the chamber. Once they were out of sight and out of earshot, the members of Sibuna turned to the square Alfie was on mere minutes ago, distraught looks on their faces.

"Alfie!" Amber yelled his name.

"No!" River groaned, letting out a sigh.

"We lost him."

"Victor's a brilliant Senet player, is he?" Upon hearing a sarcastic remark, River faced forward and saw Joy standing there. How she got there, she didn't care for. She just wanted to know if Alfie was safe and sound.

"I-I got it wrong," Fabian admitted.

"Big time! For a minute back there, I thought they actually had taken control over you."

"Guys," Amber put Joy and Fabian's argument to a stop, "Alfie."

"We need to get to the school," River declared. "Now."

"Come on, Fabian, we have to find out if he's with Nina."

With that in mind, Joy began guiding the four members back. "Come back the way you came."