FIVE. house of rivals

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Nina's alarm clock rang throughout the shared bedroom of herself, River Lawrence and Amber Millington as the three girls, plus their temporary roommate, Nina's gran, stirred from their slumber. River squinted her coffee-colored eyes, adjusting them to the brightness of her room as she rubbed them.

She had gotten used to waking up with her pajama shirt sticking to her back, the feeling of the back of her neck etched in dry sweat, the feeling of her dark locks moist. Nightmares came with a price and the unwelcoming aftermath it presented was the one to pay.

"Morning," Evelyn was the first to speak up.

"Morning," Nina smiled at her gran.

River, however, had a different reaction. Instead of greeting her friends and the elderly woman she'd become fond of, she threw herself back onto her pillow and groaned. "Goodnight,"

The girl threw her covers over her face. The females in the room chuckled at her actions.

"I've just had the weirdest dream," Nina voiced.

River was still under her covers, attempting to get a few more minutes of shut eye. But what made her throw off her covers and sit up was Amber's next words. "Me too. I was a personal shopper for Lady Gaga and she tipped me in salami."

River furrowed her eyebrows, muttering, "I wish I had a dream like that."

"Why? What was your dream?"

"Uh..." River began, thinking of something over than the fact she dreamt about almost dying in the clutches of Rufus and Beatrice-Lake Zeno. "I dreamt I was a boy."

"That must've been horrible," Amber expressed her sympathy, buying River's lie. As River nodded, the blonde turned to Nina. "What was yours?"

Nina shrugged lightly. "I can't remember."

. . .

The blinding sun rays beat down on River's grey jumper as she walked down the pathway that led to Amun Academic Boarding School's entrance, with Jerome Clarke beside her. Neither of the two knew where their third member of their tight-knit group was, which led to the blonde and brunette pranksters to discuss something else that Jerome was chattering on about.

"I still can't believe your cousin likes me more than you," Jerome chuckled.

River rolled her eyes and let out a sigh for what seemed like the hundredth time that morning. "Wasn't funny when you said it at breakfast, isn't funny now."