THIRTY-ONE. house of isis

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

Six solemn teenagers walked through the corridors of Amun Academic Boarding School with only one thing running through their minds. How on earth were they going to get the amulets off of the king of confiscation? Aka Victor Rodenmaar.

"What are we going to do?" Nina questioned aloud to her mystery solving club as they stepped foot into the corridor filled with lockers. Fabian being the only one replying that he had no idea. "Without the amulets, we'll never find the Mask. The mission's over. Done. Kaput. And so am I."

As they stopped in the middle of the hallway, River bitterly remarked, "Yeah, 'cause it's not like our lives are also on the line too."

"You never know," Amber quickly spoke up, wanting to avoid a minor argument between her two roomies, "Victor might, suddenly, become more nice and—" She cut herself off after receiving looks of disbelief from everyone. Victor? Nice? That didn't mix well. "What? It could happen."

"Sure," Fabian sarcastically agreed. "Right after Patricia becomes a guidance counselor."

The goth girl between Alfie and River laughed. "Like that's gonna happen," Patricia uttered. River chuckled in agreement. After more than five years of knowing Patricia Williamson, being a guidance counselor wasn't the right fit for her. She was the reason people needed guidance counselors. "Listen, we just have to keep an eye on Victor. He'll slip up eventually. Then we're back in business."

. . .

River Lawrence had overheard weird conversations in her seventeen years, but as she entered the dining room with the Anubis girls for their supper, she was definitely questioning the conversation between Jerome and Fabian.

As she took her seat, her perplexed gaze stayed on the resident troublemaker and nerd, with the former boy saying, "Rutter, you spend an unhealthy amount of time in the library—"

"No," Fabian immediately defended himself, walking up to Jerome. "A normal amount I would say."

"Would you?" The blonde question. However, Fabian didn't answer, knowing Jerome was right. "Anyway, have you ever noticed an old suit of armor whilst you were nerding out in there—"

"Oh, nerding out? Thank you." Fabian scoffed. "Uhm, yeah, yeah. There's one on the ground floor. Why?"

"Oh, no reason."

River frowned in confusion, watching her satisfied blonde friend enter the kitchen where Noah, Eddie, and Victor were. She glanced back to Alfie, who also grew confused too. Why was Jerome Clarke, of all people, suddenly interested in a suit of armor in the Frobisher Library?