THIRTY-FOUR. house of webs

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV.

The silence was unbearable and River could only imagine the worst when Nina didn't respond to Fabian's calls, especially when she could've sworn she heard a muffled scream.

"Nina?" Fabian frantically repeated. "Nina, are you there? Talk to me. Are you there?"

"She isn't answering," River voiced the obvious, nervousness etched in her tone. "Why isn't she answering?"

No one answered her question, but a response came from something else. A cranking sound echoed throughout the tunnel. River furrowed her eyebrows and stood up, sharing the same perplexed stares as her club mates. She turned around and in an instant, the wall, which Sibuna thought was a dead-end, finally open. Nina did it!

"It was a door," Amber uttered as River let out a relieved chuckle. "Nina did it!"

"Nina!" An epiphany hit River's she crouched down. At the revelation of the door opening, she almost forgot about her American friend crawling in the tunnel.

"Nina, can you hear me?" Fabian spoke into the walkie-talkie. "Nina, can you hear me?"

"Yep. I'm nearly back. You should be able to see me soon," Nina replied. Her voice was heard again, but it was much clearer and didn't come from the walkie-talkie. "Oh, a little help here?"

River grabbed her hand as the rest of Sibuna helped Nina out of the tunnel. Once she stood with the group and let out her exasperated pants, Fabian went straight to the questions. "How was it?"

"Honestly," Nina panted, "like being down a long, dark tunnel with bugs and a skull."

Alfie nodded. "Sounds about right."

"Yeah." Amber grimaced.

"Yep," River agreed, as she and Alfie, as well as Amber, went down the Tunnel of Fear. "Don't remember a skull though."

"And there were voices," Nina informed them.

River furrowed her brows. She remembered bugs, lizards, darkness, dirtiness... but voices? In a tunnel? Now that was new.

"Voices?" A baffled Fabian repeated, glancing at the rest of Sibuna. "Well, that's new."

"Yeah. Weird ones. It was all in my head, but... still."

"Well, you're safe now and you did it," Fabian said, showing her the positive side of the whole issue. Literally.

He pointed to the opened door and Nina chuckled in delight. "Okay. Let's see what Frobisher-Smythe has in store for us next."